Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tein S-techs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 PM
HCF Member
Default Tein S-techs

i am officially going to lower my car with springs. i was originally going to go with kyb agx shocks and H&R springs, the setup that trustdestruction has but i'm kind of on a budget right now but i still want a lowered car, every time i look at the wheel gap, i keep imagining it being gone. Now am thinking about going with Tein S-techs spring, my question is will i need shocks or would i ride fine with the oem shocks without putting too much stress on them. will i need anything else like cambers? My understanding is that they lower 1.5" and that's about how much i want to lower. does anyone have a DIY or instructions on how to install the lowering springs.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 PM

I've heard that the S-techs are fine on stock shocks, but they'll still blow out prematurely compared to when not lowered at all, just not as prematurely as they would with other lowering springs. I think they'll probably be fine for quite a while.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

do you know how long i can probably go with them. also if i go the s tech way will i still need to get an alignment? is there anything else i need to install besides spring compressor? are there instructions on how to install the springs

Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM

here's the rear shock DIY
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=23588

front is pretty much the same, just a couple additional bolts holding the assembly to the car (one holding another piece of the suspension... the wishbone thing at the bottom of the strut - can't remember its name, and then 2 bolts holding the brake line to the strut.

you'll need an alignment any time you alter your cars ride height

not sure how long they'll last. I just know that stock shocks aren't made for the car to be lowered, and will blow prematurely. The softness of the S-techs and the small drop make the stock shocks last longer with them than with stiffer or lower springs.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 10-19-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

will i need a camber kit?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 PM

only if you care if the camber isn't perfect

the drop you're looking at though isn't enough to throw the camber off enough to cause strange tire wear.

i have a 1.8" front, 1.6" rear drop and my tire wear is just a little tiny bit more towards the inside... but it won't cause my tires to need to be replaced much earlier than normal, maybe idk 1000 miles earlier than if I had perfect camber... not enough miles off the life of the tire to offset the cost of buying a camber kit.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 10-19-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
HCF Member

so basically all i need are the springs and compressor and i lower my car? am i correct? with an alignment after the install

Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM

yep. Oh, and make sure you have vice grips for holding the strut shaft while you get the shaft bolt off, and a bottle of penetrant.
You may consider getting some relatively inexpensive non-adjustable struts though if you don't want to take the suspension apart again later, like the KYB GR-2's. They'll hold up fine and work well. The shocks you have are already like what 9 years old? They'll need to be replaced eventually.
The reason I mention this is because with your shocks being almost 10 years old already, they'll probably need replacement soon even if you don't lower the car. Best to take care of it now with something like the GR2's or tokico blues while you have the springs off since the stock shocks already vulnerable to blowing.
They may or may not blow out within the next 3 or 4 years, no one knows, but it'd be a good idea to take care of it now if you can. If you can't, you just might have to do a little more work in the future, no big deal.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 PM
HCF Member

good point, i will consider. i plan to do them with my friend, he has an accord he want to drop so i'll see. thanks trust

Old 10-20-2008, 04:08 AM
Administrator

spring compressors suck. just throw your foot on the top ya big baby!

Quick Reply: Tein S-techs