Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tie Bar.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Default Tie Bar.

I used the search to find some info on anti-sway bars and from what I read, it looks like the ASR subframe brace is something I should really consider. So I was wondering, does that take the place of a tie bar, or could you still fit one on there? Because I've seen some brands that have tie bar/sway bar combos, but I think I should get the brace and it doesn't look like a tie bar can fit.

Here's a pic I found of the ASR brace/anti-sway bar

Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tie Bar.

As far as I know, you dont need a sub frame brace unless you upgrade to a thicker sway bar. A stock sway bar doesnt need the brace, the brace is for thicker bars that put more stress on the sub frame and can rip it.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 PM

well, yeah u can fit a rear tie bar on along with the ASR kit, but u really dont need it. as far as handling goes, the 23mm bar along with the entire ASR kit is enough for a solid rear. if u did want to fit one on there, research which ones will work, i believe the Beaks bar will fit with the kit. bars such as the ones found on ebay have large mounting points and may hit the d-brackets andwont fit.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 PM

So the ASR unit in the pic should do the same as a tie/sway bar? That'd be awesome.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

yes, like mills said, it's a reinforcement so the bar doesn't break the rear welds, because the subframe brace is cnc'd from thickass i believe 6061 aluminum (correct me if i'm wrong on that one). and it also serves as a tie bar, but frankly, all a tie bar does is reinforce a frame that's already stronger than the tie bar itself and doesn't really serve it's purpose that well.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:36 PM

no the ASR kit is not used by itself for better handling. its main purpose is to prevent subframe tearout when using a large rear sway bar.

the actual parts that prevent tearout look similar to this. this is the Beaks subframe kit on my car, they are the gold plates that sandwich the subframe.
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  10.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  49.4 KB

the ASR kit has very similar pieces that sandwich the subframe and those are what prevent tearout. that whole plate that has "ASR" written on it is mainly just bling lol.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

it's a very, very high quality piece though, definitely worth the money if you need a rear sway

Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM

I've got my ASR brace waiting install (stupid seized bolts), it's well worth the money and unlike the tie bars the ASR brace doesn't sit any lower than the factory subframe assembly and it's alot stronger than any tie bar would be. You can use a tie bar in unison with the ASR brace but it's over kill, it's good for "bling" factor....

Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 AM

awesome. looks like i have another item to put on my list. thanks for the info gentlemen.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 AM
HCF Member

do you have a lot of body roll or something, because my ksports have almost zero body roll due to the spring rate and dampening i have them set on, don't you have coils?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tie Bar.