Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tire Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

Brand: General Altimax HP
Size: 195/60-14

Got them from treadepot.com
here's a link from Tirerack

I just got these on a couple days ago and so far i like them. Let's start with why i chose these tires. I chose them for couple reasons, the price was very affordable, they were all season tires, they had excellent reviews from Tirerack (ranked one of the top tires on its class), and had excellent reviews by other people that had them on Tirerack. So for $54 per tire i wanted to give these a try. When I got these tires, i notice couple things. The tires had directional treads which i liked a lot. there is a tire replacement on the tire, meaning that as tire wears the "replace tire" will appear on the middle of the tire meaning its time to replace tires. also, it has the something to tell you that you need an alignment on the tire. The first thing that i notice when i got the tires was the soft sidewall. I do not know if this is good or bad but hasn't bother me thus far. On to the performance of the tires. the tires are very quiet, low road noise. the tires sticks to the ground pretty good. I have not gotten the chance yet to try these in the rain, but from other reviews, these tires should do excellent in the rain and great hydroplaning performance. I have not gotten to try these in snow yet, but from all season tires they probably only could handle light snow. These tires should have pretty good tire wear life another reason why i went for them. So far i would recommend these tires to anyone on a budget and still want decent tires. I would rate the tires at an 8/10 as i know there are better tires out there. I will update this post as i get to use these tire longer.

Update: 9/2/2011

After 3 years these tires are still holding up. I still have a good 50% still left on these tires. I drive about 4,000-maybe 4,500 miles a year. The tires are still quiet. I had one of the tire plugged because there was a nail embedded on the tread. That one is still holding fine and its been about a year now. I think for the price these tires are worth it.

Last edited by sfazngiants; 09-02-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

Pirelli P4
185/70/14, smoking deal so I was alright with a 3.1% bigger tire (no ABS or cruise either),
Big O Tires, Calgary, Ab
3000 km (1875 miles)

I'll update this post after more miles.

I was in search for a more balanced all season, i.e. one that actually works well in winter, and I can run in the summer as well. I can only compare this tire to other all seasons as I've never bought a winter specific tire. So far so good, it blows away any other all season tire on the ice, in the snow, slush, etc... They seem to be sticking well to dry pavement as well. Could be all in my head, but despite the taller sidewall they seem stiffer laterally when cornering.

The only minor complaint I have so far is the road noise, a little louder than any other car tire I've owned. I'm used to the hum of an aggressive AT or MT tire on a truck/suv however, so compared to that these things are whisper quiet.

For my purposes, commuting, and relying on carrying my speed through corners rather than accelerating hard on the straightaways with my 1.6 L of fury (D16y7), they're a good choice.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Nexen N5000
205/40/17

purchased from wheelsnext.com

I've had these tires for around a year, and they have excellent traction and handling. However, I feel that they wear too quickly, even with a good alignment, proper rotation, and proper inflation. They are already near the end of their life, after only a little over a year, probably driven on for about 15,000 miles, maximum.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
HCF Member

yokohama yk520,
195/55/15
i got 'em at discount tire in new braunfels TX, and i instantly fell in love with them.
quieter than the generals that were on the car.
i've had these for over a year, and i guess i've put around 20k very hard miles on them so far...

when i first got them they were like putting the car on rails.
now after a year, i'm starting to notice that thier getting a little harder... but they did sit on the car in the driveway for almost 8 months...

they still have lots of tread, so i'm just gonna keep runn'n em...

i liked them so much i put the exact same thing on the wife's 06 scion xb. made a definate improvement on that car as well.

ballanced up nice, staid ballenced, staid round, hold air, and stick dry and wet...

not showing any signs of dry cracking yet, but when i get on them real hard, i can feel them slip just a little... but still very controlable.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Michelin X ICE
Great snow tires! I live in Michigan and I'm 2" lower than stock, I go out and play every time it snows and haven't even came close to putting her in the ditch or even stuck for that matter. We had about 5" of snow last week and I seemed to be going better than anything that wasn't AWD. This is thier second winter and still feel like new. I paid around 100 a piece for them.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:58 PM

I've gone through a few sets of tires since my last review on the Falken Azenis on pg3. As stated in the end of my review on that tire, I havn't gone back to an all-season or crap HP tire...I love grip...

Start from old to new

Brand: Kumho
Model: ECSTA SPT
Size: 195/50R15
Purchased: Got them from ebay. I can't remember how much I payed exactly but I want to say between $250-$300 shipped. Got them off ebay because no where else had them in this size...
Time Had: I believe I had these for about a year. Didn't last very long because I didn't have the correct alignment, didn't rotate them as often as I should and ran them in the winter(they are summer tires). Actually 2 of them could have lasted atleast another 6 months, but replaced the set because the other 2 were worn out.
Review: Excellent street tire and even pretty good on the track/autox. Honestly can say a very good all-around tire. On the street, it offers more than enough grip for even spirited driving. Handles rain great, never had issues and car was predictable. I ran them at an AutoX once against my race tires(reviewed below) and IIRC, they were just 1.5seconds slower. I ran them on a track aswell for 2 back to back 20min sessions. Surprisingly held up just fine. They did get soft and smushy feeling after a few minutes due to heat, but they never let loose on me. I felt very comfortable and confident in them on the track. Out cornered every other car(STi's, Miatas, WRX's, etc..) in those sessions and these were just run of the mill street tires.
Name:  IMG_0009-2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  77.7 KB

Brand: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE-01R
Purchased: Bought from www.tirerack.com. Payed around $450 shipped for them. Expensive but for a reason. These are now discontinued...
Time Had: Had them for about a year and a half. Raced on these for about 10 months, then stored them away until sold when I got new tires. These were on seperate wheels, the Kumho SPT's above were my daily driving tires.
Review: Let's just say this tire brought a whole new meaning of grip to me. These tires were much, much better than the Falken Azenis. They offered way more grip, much better steering response, and handled heat a lot better. The amount of grip from these was just amazing. Since I didn't drive these on the street, they lasted quite a while. I put about 25 AutoX events on them and a Novice driving school. They still had about half tread life left in them when I sold them. I would not recomended for street use, low tread wear rating will mean another set of tires fast if driven on everyday. Not the best in the rain at high speed either.
(picture from when I sold them, about half life(4/32nds) tread left.
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  55.1 KB
(picture compared against the Azenis. 195 Bridgestones just as wide as 205 Azenis )
Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  52.1 KB

Brand: Yokohama
Model: S. Drive
Purchased: Bought from www.tirerack.com. Got them for around $275 shipped.
Time Had: Bought them last year when my Kumho SPT's were done, back in March and they are still in use today(about a year later).
Review: Great tire. Before I bought these, I was looking for a street tire that could meet or exceed what the Kumho SPT's offered for around the same price. This was the only tire I could find. From my experience on them, I have found them to be a little below what the Kumho's offered but my comparison cannot be 100% accurate due to suspension changes. But, these tires for sure do offer more than enough grip for spirited street driving. They are great on dry pavement and do very well in rain. I've never had any issues with them and highly recommend them. The only thing I could slightly complain about from these tires is that the side wall may be a bit too soft. BUT, for any regular car joe looking for fun, these will definitly do the job.
(never took a picture of mine so heres one from tirerack)

AND LAST....

Brand: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE-11
Size: 205/50R15
Purchased: From www.tirerack.com. I think I payed close to $500 shipped for these bad boys. Expensive but for a damn good reason...
Time Had: Got them about a year ago in March, still have them and still running them for racing.
Review: I thought the Bridgestone RE-01R's were great, but somehow Bridgestone managed to come up with better. This tire has been designed to be the best "street" tire out on the market, and I can say(and others too) that it is. It offers LOADS of grip, handles heat great, very stiff sidewalls, etc..etc... Love this tire. It's pretty wide for a 205 series tire, they just BARELY clear the fenders. They actually do rub a tiny bit at full lock on the inside but no big deal. By far the BEST tire I've had. Bridgestone has won my heart for sure. I would not recomended for street use, low tread wear rating will mean another set of tires fast if driven on everyday. Not the best in the rain at high speed either. Don't know what else to say about them other than they freaking rock.
(can't find my pictures of these so tireracks will do)

Old 05-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Brand: Falken
Model: Ziex 912
Purchased: Tire Kingdom... can't say this for all of them but my local Tire Kingdom was great... they had to order the tires but they got them overnight, and they even did a price match for me to the price at discounttiredirect.com, which was $68 a tire. I also recommend discounttiredirect.com, I have done business with them before twice and it has always been a smooth transaction, with very good prices and free shipping.
Time Had: About 1 week
Review: I previously had the Falken Ziex 512 tires, and loved how they handled. However, they were a little loud (directional tires) and they wore out fairly quickly (but this was partly because I had bad toe in the front for a few hundred miles due to a bad tie rod).

I then bought these tires, the Falken Ziex 912, which are the successor to the now discontinued (but still available some places) Ziex 512. When I first got in the car I noticed a huge difference immediately. These tires grip the road great and are very comfortable. They are substantially quieter than the 512. They also have a softer ride, which is odd because the 912 is a slightly harder tire than the 512 was. As a result of the harness they also have a longer lifespan, and actually have a 40,000 mile limited treadwear warranty (for aspect ratios of 55 and under... 65,000 mile warranty for 60 and 65 series tires). Even though they are harder they still seem to grip the road just as well.

They are an "all-season" tire, but I have read that if you drive in snow that these are very hard to stop with, although they accelerate fine. I can't vouch for these claims as it is spring, and it doesn't snow in FL anyway.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Brand: Continental
Model: Barum
Size: 195/60R14
Purchased: Discount Tire...my local one has great service and they price match, i dont know about all of them but this one does.
Time Had: About 2 months now i believe.
Review: They are nothing special and i kno Continental tire makes them but trust me...they handle very well for being a no-name tire. If u are in a bind and need some replacement tires id say go for these. They cost me less than $60 per tire i believe and its at Discount Tire so they have a lifetime waranty, free mounting and balancing, also come with lifetime balancing and rotating with the deal...cost me less than $275 total

I would deffinitely recomend these tires.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Default Nokian wr-g2

Please include the following information:
NOKIAN
WR-G2
24540R18 (Aftermarket Motegi Wheels)
Nokian WR G2 Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping!
(TiresByWeb has a $40 coupon for Nokian Tires - enter NOKIAN40 at checkout)
Had the tires for 35,000 Miles - 2.5 years

Hey everyone, i'm new to this forum but i wanted to share my experiences with the incredible, WR-G2 tire on my 2008 Civic. They have exceeded my expectations over the first 35k miles. They are incredible tires in the wet and especially slush (ever deeper). In slush I think better than ANY pure winter tire I have been on. On dry roads I would rate them excellent in the cold and fine for a performance all-season in the summer (hotter temps).

The wear is excellent at 35k miles. The snowflakes are still visible(means still winter capable) with a bit left and will hopefully carry us through the winter conditions fine.

All in all an excellent tire for year round use but a WINNER in winter conditions.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Tire Review Thread-wr-g2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Just took my snow tires off last week. Spring must be here! I put General Altimax HP 195/60r15 88H on my '05 Civic EX special edition. New tires always make the car feel new, again. I bought the tires at Walmart. Ordered them online and had them shipped to my store with free shipping. Tires were $75.00 each with $9.00 each for lifetime balance and new valve stems. Totaled out at $84.00 each before sales tax. The same tire at my local Tire Store was quoted to me for $132.00 each. Quite a savings. So far I really like the tires. Very quiet and smooth riding. Handle very well in dry and wet conditions. I already have about 500 miles on them.
The last summer tires I had were BFG Traction T/A's. Didn't even get 30,000 miles out of the set. Hope these Generals do better than that!
Duane

Quick Reply: Tire Review Thread