Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tire Wobbles, Falls Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 AM
HCF Member
Default Tire Wobbles, Falls Over

I had my snow tires (General Altimax Artic, 2 years old) taken off a couple of weeks ago. I know the guy who runs the tire place that I go to so I stood out in the shop when he was changing my tires over. When he took the rear tires off and rolled them over to me, they both wobbled for about two or three feet and then fell over. We looked at them and both were cupping and the edges were all worn out unevenly. However, the front tires were fine. Is this just an alignment issue? I had the whole front/backend looked over and everything checked out fine. I haven't had time to get it aligned, but hopefully I can next week. I'm just wondering if maybe there is something else that is funky with either those particular tires or something else in the backend.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM
HCF Member

Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Check alignment, shocks, and for worn bushings.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Was ur car shaking at all when u drove it before u got them taken off? or does it shake or pull one way or the other now? Cause the same thing happened to me when i took off the old 17's and replaced them with the 15" hx's...the tires on the 17's were so fcked up and wobbled horribly idk how they didnt blow when i drove them around. They werent balanced right tho is why they got like that and we were told that they were by the dealer we bought it from. So ur spring-summer tires (or new ones) should be fine if theyre balanced right.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Kenny-g (Cx to HxS)
Was ur car shaking at all when u drove it before u got them taken off? or does it shake or pull one way or the other now? Cause the same thing happened to me when i took off the old 17's and replaced them with the 15" hx's...the tires on the 17's were so fcked up and wobbled horribly idk how they didnt blow when i drove them around. They werent balanced right tho is why they got like that and we were told that they were by the dealer we bought it from. So ur spring-summer tires (or new ones) should be fine if theyre balanced right.
It didn't really shake at all, but it did pull to both sides. It only pulled when I was doing over 50MPH and it felt like when a big gust a wind hits a car on the highway, except there wasn't any wind. The pulling went away when I had the snows taken off, but now the backend wiggles/swerves/bounces around most of the time. Its going in tomorrow to have an alignment and to be checked over so I'll update when I can.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:38 AM

When you said it pulled, sounds like a toe issue which can be fixed with an alignment. But, when you say it wiggles/swerves/bounces, sounds like a shock issue. Could be both.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
When you said it pulled, sounds like a toe issue which can be fixed with an alignment. But, when you say it wiggles/swerves/bounces, sounds like a shock issue. Could be both.
While driving on the highway today (60MPH), I seriously thought I had a flat tire, thats how bad it was handling. When I was on the highway a little later in the day driving the car out to my mechanic (70MPH), it felt fine, but was constantly pulling to the left. I'll hopefully find out whats going on tomorrow.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

I had the backend checked over today and everything checked out fine. Nothing was broken/loose/etc. It was given an alignment and I guess the right rear tire was completely out of alignment. I'll see how it handles and how these new tires wear out now.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM
HCF Member

is the car lowered? camber??

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civic96lx
is the car lowered? camber??
Nope, bare-bone stock except for an AEM SRI and a Flowmaster exhaust. It feels a lot better going over bumps in the city, but it still feels like junk on the highway

Quick Reply: Tire Wobbles, Falls Over