Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tokico Hp's with Tein S Techs and BloxLCAs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Tokico Hp's with Tein S Techs and BloxLCAs

So I was tired of my 12 year old stock suspension and decided to order the suspension package that I have been wanting for months. I was going to order the Tokico Hp Kit with the Tokico springs, but couldn't find a good price on shipping. I ended up ordering the Shocks/Struts and springs separately, both with free shipping and a total saving of 60 bucks. With the extra money, I figured I'd save myself some bull**** with the LCA's and just ordered new ones that come with RUBBER bushings. I'm making a trip over to the local Honda dealer tomorow to pick up the LCA bolts, and was wondering if I've missed anything. Or if anybody could provide any priceless experience information when doing the whole set-up yourself. My brother is a mechanic and has worked on tractors for the past 20 years, along with a work truck that has pretty much every special tool I can think we might need for this job, spring compressor, torch, and every standard tool as well. Again I Would like to ask anybody for their expertise in this area, thank you in advance for your time, Jake.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25194/750ED4CF92664E24AC60E5505D9FA5E3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25194/622202136BA9491BB5C8CE152E5F7DFB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25194/494CDC51065948E698D9666514C2F18E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Default RE: Tokico Hp's with Tein S Techs and BloxLCAs

this will save u some time and cursing. insted of trying to remove the shock bolts on the LCA, leave them on. remove the other 4 bolts on the LCA, the 4 top hat nuts and drop the old suspension off since u wont need it. use a spring compressor to remove the top hats and put em on the new suspension. i'd buy 3 new LCAbolts just in case. and those Blox LCA's use rubber bushings, not poly.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

Hahahahaha wow, the one person I wanted to respond.
You kick *** dude thanks for that.

Hey so I was just wondering, is this going to be like amazing.
I mean is this a good setup, a good way to do it ?
I'm pretty sure what I've read about the Tokicos was good,
From you as far I remember I think in another forum somebody was asking.

And I think the drop from the springs is going to be perfect.
My friend has a 2000, pretty much all done up, but he bought it the way it is,
Totally besides the point, but I can't even put a finger in the front and only one in the back.
I'd be pretty grossed out if it came out like that, but I'm like 95% sure it's not going to.

Also, my brother had a Tercel ( haha ) and changed pretty much everything I've done,
and has switched out suspenion components on his car, so with that experience,
and a good set of straight forward directions, are there any gross situations that could happen ?
I really like to be prepared for everything and know everything about everything when doing anything
involving my car. Pretty much the reason why I bought the new LCA's, is there anything else I would need to bring
other than a new set of bolts ?

Old 05-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well IMO i would go ahead and buy 6new LCA bolts....
cheap insurance. now the strut and middle lca bolt is easy but the far outside ones are very hard to get to if they are seized! i wish you luck that its not seized!

1 of mine on my 99 is seized and still is.LOL i just worked around it..... if i ever do fix it will probably have to take the whole spindle off

the HP/tein combo is nice. i had it on my 99 last year. i only upgraded it for a more tunable suspension. with my konis and ground controls. if you dont mind both sides that are alittle uneven its a great combo for the price!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

Wait what, what's uneven ? The shocks to the springs are an uneven match ?

I've already removed the she strut bolts, those were a sonofabitch to do, haha
when I installed my tie bars, ohh man that was so gnarly. I felt like I was a mechanic after
I did that job.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

im saying the sides arent quite the same. my one side had abotu 1 finger more space on the rear and half another finger on the fronts i believe.
AT LEAST mine were that way....
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...20TEIN%20drop/

nothing to much for most people but i prefer it to be even....

Old 05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
March 2010 ROTM

That might have just been your particular springs or something addiction. A guy at work has that setup and his is pretty much perfect...maybe half an index finger difference, but I think even stock springs are like that, just a tad bit off.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

Dude addiction, I have seriously just creamed my pants after looking at your album.
I have the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's they are 205/50/15's so those are going to be fitting
quite snugly inside my wheel wells.

OH! and what was that chart in your album, is that like something that measures
everything to see if its aligned properly? I've never seen that, pretty insane,
but you could tell that there is a slight difference in your toe and camber, right ?
I'm pretty sure that's what you were talking about.

Oh dude, you have some MEGA HAIRY legs hahahahahahaha

[IMG]local://upfiles/25194/467F01012A4F4D11B5E6F1CC1A266677.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

LMFAO ya i know... i forgot to shave that week... J/K its not that bad.LOL

when i got my rims i had to roll the fender lips in the rear, but for stock wheels they should be fine in the rear. just something ya might run into..... but ya might not....

i told ya the gap is different by only about a finger or so BUT it is that way.LOL
it may be slight BUT there is a difference non the less......

the alignment sheet was after afew days of driving on them i got a alignment done BUT my rear passenger side toe adjuster was seized, thats why it is still off, but the front caster on the passenger side was minor but only 0.1 off. very minor. not worth fixing with a camber kit IMO...
i also used 3 washers behind the rear upper arm to correct the camber in the rear...
just be sure to get a alignment ruffly afew days or a week after you instal the springs.... they can settle alittle after afew days so wait alittle before geting a alignment done just to be safe on a good alignment.
i got my alignment at midus, tho unless they have a inground alignment rack be sure to bring some boards to lift the car up alittle smooth on the ramp to keep it from draging the ramp and tearing up the car thats the BEFORE and AFTER alignment sheet. i like that alignment sheet! i know some shops dont give you a print out. so you really dont know if your alignment is good or not.LOL

this is a picture of with hp/stech with my new rims.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSC00135-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...DSC00128-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...X/DSC00133.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...X/DSC00129.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...X/DSC00134.jpg

looks very nice just not perfect on both sides to me. 1 reason i chose adjustable coilovers my 2nd reason was so i wouldnt have to swap springs ever season.LOL my car is my daily driver again so in the winter i need it lifted as much as posible for snow/ground clearance... at least as much as posible. then i just have to get a alignment after moving the spring perches
one downfall about kinda living out in the country alittle..... they dont like to plow the roads very fast and since i gotta be at work by 6am 5days a week....

Old 05-25-2008, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I've already drooled over the pictures of your car many times,
you don't need to remind me of how bad my car looks haha. But with the washers,
I've heard it to be called " the washer trick " I think I have a total of 4 washers that came with
The setup, would it be a good idea to get an extra set of washers ? And if you could give me
a rough idea of where these washers go in relation to the install. I kinda haven't thoroughly researched
the job yet, I'm thinking it shouldn't be that hard, just a lot of work. And with my brother, he has a lot of exp
working on vehicles and actually changed the spring/struts and springs on his 80 Tercel haha. But, I must say
I am so very thankful to both you and ducky for the quick and thorough responses you both have provided.
I see you guys as pretty much the top two people, from what I've read, that know their **** when it comes to suspension,
and pretty much anything involving your cars. When the two of you responded, I was like ohhhhhhh snappppp,
got the BIG DOGS responding to my thread, total score. But uh, when it comes to " rolling the fenders " is that something
that can be done with like exact curve modifying tools, or is it kinda like a jimmy rig job, where you have to just kinda figure it out ?

ALSO, is buying new LCA's really a good idea, or is it just like a minor mod that nobody really does. I've seen very few people
with aftermarket LCA's, and I must say I think they look pretty sick. I'm kinda bummed because they are red, which draws even more
attention to my car, but it seems like a really good idea to me in terms of dealing with the seized LCA bolts. I was thinking that a lot of potential damage could be done to the LCA's when removing the seized bolts. But, they looked sick, got an AWESOME price for em, and FREE shipping :: angels from heaven trumpet fanfare ::

Quick Reply: Tokico Hp's with Tein S Techs and BloxLCAs