Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Tokico questions, need help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Default Tokico questions, need help...

My car (EK sedan)is sitting on a full set of Tokico HP springs and shocks. I posted on here before because my car sits lower in the back than in the front and I don't know why (been like that for a few months) and the ride also seems to be to soft for my tastes. My friend has an older set of Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks and Skunk 2 sleeve coilovers on his EG coupe that he said he would trade with me along with $100 bucks (from me to him), but he said that his setup was made for an EG coupe/hatch (which didn't make sense to me because both tokico shocks and skunk 2 coils are for 92-00 civics). My questions are...

1) Will his setup even fit my car?

2) Is the trade worth it (even with me paying an extra 100)?

3) Is there a posibility that my springs are backwards (front springs in back and vice-versa) causing the back to ride low?

Thank you so much for any help/suggestions!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Tokico questions, need help...

ORIGINAL: Everyday Getaway

My car (EK sedan)is sitting on a full set of Tokico HP springs and shocks. I posted on here before because my car sits lower in the back than in the front and I don't know why (been like that for a few months) and the ride also seems to be to soft for my tastes. My friend has an older set of Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks and Skunk 2 sleeve coilovers on his EG coupe that he said he would trade with me along with $100 bucks (from me to him), but he said that his setup was made for an EG coupe/hatch (which didn't make sense to me because both tokico shocks and skunk 2 coils are for 92-00 civics). My questions are...

1) Will his setup even fit my car?

2) Is the trade worth it (even with me paying an extra 100)?

3) Is there a posibility that my springs are backwards (front springs in back and vice-versa) causing the back to ride low?

Thank you so much for any help/suggestions!
1) yes
2) new illuminas and skunk2 sleeves are around $550 i believe and the HPK goes for around $400 i believe. i guess thats not too bad of a trade, i'd maybe offer a lil lower then $100.
3) how much lower is it in the rear compared to the front? the rear normally will appear lower than the front because the rear quarter panel sits slightly lower then the front fender.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:09 PM

It's noticably lower in the back. There is about 2 inches of wheel gap in the front and only about half an inch in the back...

Old 09-05-2007, 06:13 PM

just check the springs to make sure their not swapped.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Is there an easy way to tell? The rear set was already built when I installed the suspension, I assumed the guy I bought it from knew what he was doing so I went ahead and built the front set and put them on, but the springs didn't look all that different on the front and back... how can I tell? Also, aren't the front springs supposed to be stiffer to support the engine?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM

most noticable difference is the coil thickness. the front springs should be thicker than the rear ones.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Cool, I'll take a look tomorrow when I can see. Thanks a lot! (Think I'm still gonna get the illuminas)

Old 09-05-2007, 07:38 PM

You're going to need washers for the rear shocks, the forks that go around the lca's on the EG's are wider than the EK's so you'll need washers to take up the space for using his shocks on your car. When I got my Tokico Illumina's they came with the washers for my EK so you might already have them with your HP's, simple way to tell is to look (when looking at the springs) at the bolt going thru the lca and see if there are washers between the lca and the shock body.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM

huh, that's odd, because my HP's came off of an eg hatch and he was using washers in his setup but for mine the fork was a tight squeeze on my LCAs...

Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM

huh, might have it backwards.....

Quick Reply: Tokico questions, need help...