Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

trailing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Default trailing arm bushings

Anybody know an easy way to replace the rear trailing arm bushings out of a 98 honda civic ex without buying the tool or using a press?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Default RE: trailing arm bushings

if u use a press u have to take the whole trailing arm off which is kind of a pain. u can apparently get the bushing out by disconnecting a couple bolts, pulling the armdown a bitand hammering it out but i wouldnt think its that easy. thats how the dealerships do it because they dont want to dissasemble everything. hammering it out is probably the only way to do it without using a press anyways i figure.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I need to do the same thing, SO if you buy the trailing arm removal tool and use it, I'll send you half of what you bought it for and then I can use it. That way we will have split the price tag! Let me know if you're up for it!!!

Dan

Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 PM

im actually probly gonna buy the matco xtractor and then just sell it just cant decide wheather or not to buy OEM or PCI sperical bushings

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I got the megan racing trailing armbushings. Let me know when/if you sell the puller, because I'll buy it!

Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 AM

alright i should be ordering the puller tonight so it should be a few weeks but ill let you know

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Did you guys ever get this tool? Will it work on a '90 Hatch? Thanks.

Update:
Yes the tool will work on '88-'00 Civics.
Autozone sells this replacement bushing: http://www.autozone.com/images/produ...6.7106r003.jpg (must reuse metal parts!)
Does the OEM Honda replacement bushing have the metal bar molded into the rubber?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: pwillikers

Did you guys ever get this tool? Will it work on a '90 Hatch? Thanks.

Update:
Yes the tool will work on '88-'00 Civics.
Autozone sells this replacement bushing: http://www.autozone.com/images/produ...6.7106r003.jpg (must reuse metal parts!)
Does the OEM Honda replacement bushing have the metal bar molded into the rubber?
a trailing arm bushing puller works wonders. i replaced my trailing arm bushings and it didnt take long and wasnt difficult at all.

http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...ct_id=36357280

from what i've heard, theres not too big of a difference, if at all,between the OEM and the Energy Suspension trailing arm bushings performance wise. infact most ppl who have theES ones say it'd be better just to get OEM ones. Yes, the ES ones require u to re-use the metal bracket from the OEM bushings. only way to get the rubber apart from the metal is by burning the rubber off. just not worth the trouble IMO. i just bought OEM ones and was happy with the result, was a noticable improvment in handling compared to my 12 year old OEM ones.

if ur reeeeeally looking for performance, the Mugen ones seem to be the best.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer
a trailing arm bushing puller works wonders. i replaced my trailing arm bushings and it didnt take long and wasnt difficult at all.

http://www.handsontools.com/store/sh...ct_id=36357280

from what i've heard, theres not too big of a difference, if at all,between the OEM and the Energy Suspension trailing arm bushings performance wise. infact most ppl who have theES ones say it'd be better just to get OEM ones. Yes, the ES ones require u to re-use the metal bracket from the OEM bushings. only way to get the rubber apart from the metal is by burning the rubber off. just not worth the trouble IMO. i just bought OEM ones and was happy with the result, was a noticable improvment in handling compared to my 12 year old OEM ones.

if ur reeeeeally looking for performance, the Mugen ones seem to be the best.
civicexracer,

did you use the puller tool to extract the trailing arm bushing? would a similar tool work for the LCA bushings given that you can find the right size bit?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 AM
HCF Member

$145 for the extractor! Holy crap. I am swapping my drums for disks out of an integra so I will be replacing the bushing. I got some replacement bushings for $25 a piece. I plan on going to a shop and having them pushed out. It will be cheaper then $145 I would think...

Quick Reply: trailing arm bushings