Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Truth or Myth???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Default Truth or Myth???

for a while now iv thought that wheel size affects speed and acceleration until today i read in a Max Power guide that it makes no difference but will give a false speedo reading. can any1 spread any light on the matter?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Truth or Myth???

Yeah, dont believe a word that trashy rice mag tells you. The speedo will be out with bigger wheels, granted. they will also slow down acceleration and effect handling and braking. The only thing they give you is a slightly higher top speed but I couldnt give a **** about that. 88-99 civics only feel right on 15's IMHO. If I did it again there is no way I would put 17's on my civic.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:12 PM

rele? iv got the same hatch as u wit 17's. did it make alot of difference when u whacked ur rims on? cnt believe it. paid £20 for a modding guide for my civic n its filled with ball****

Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I noticed a lot of a difference, my car felt slower, and although it had new toyos on the 17's it just didnt feel right in the bends. Oh and the brakes wernt as sharp, dont get me wrong, with my suspension etc it still handles amazingly its just the odd time I throw the 15's on it feels much better in the corners.
Some people dont really notice any change when they move up rim size, I guess its because im very sensitive to little adjustments on my cars.
And yes I have the max power/haynes civic modding guide, It does have some useful tips in there, especially on interiors, but theres no way id of paid £20 for it. I got mine for free

Old 09-28-2006, 02:42 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 1.6esi

wheel size affects speed and acceleration
it's the weight that makes the difference.

and for the speedometer . . . if you get the right size tires, it will still be correct. Your overall wheel+tire diameter can't change.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 1.6esi

for a while now iv thought that wheel size affects speed and acceleration until today i read in a Max Power guide that it makes no difference but will give a false speedo reading. can any1 spread any light on the matter?
It depends. If the larger rim and tire combination weigh more than a stock rim and tire and the outside tire diameter are the same, then speed and acceleration will be slower.
If the larger rim and tire combination weight less than a stock rim and tire and the outside tire diameter are the same, then speed and acceleration will be faster.
If the larger rim and tire combination weigh the same as a smaller rim and tire combination, the speed and acceleration will be pretty much the same.

What will create a false speedometer reading is a different overall tire diameter.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

and a larger overall diameter effectively makes the gear ratios longer, which will hurt the acceleration on a peaky car like a honda. they need to be high in rpms to make power, and longer ratios keep the rpms lower for a given ground speed.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

don't forget about wheel weight.

lighter wheels help lower your unspring weight, which helps acceleration, handling and fuel mileage.

i guess that's why mugens cost so damm much...

Old 09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i switched from 17's to 15's on my car because they are just more my style

Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 AM

can u reccomend any light weight 17's. i dnt think civics look right on 15's. all down to personal preference though

Quick Reply: Truth or Myth???