Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Warped rotor, ack.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Warped rotor, ack.

If you get full metallic pads, it will make your car stop faster. They produce more friction and stop your car faster. The metallic pads do however chew your rotor up. If you use them, you will have to change the rotor after the pads have chewed the rotor up. On the rotors, i would go with slotted rotors. I would stay away from drilled/cross drilled rotors. They perform well (dissipate more heat), but there is a downside. On these rotors, there is less metal so they tend to crack alot easier. The slotted ones have a good mix of performance and durability. And brembo does rule, you can't go wrong with brembo.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM

it wont decrease ur stopping distance if u can lock up all 4 brakes at full speed allready... mabie you should have added that.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: neon3kgt
it wont decrease ur stopping distance if u can lock up all 4 brakes at full speed allready... mabie you should have added that.
Stopping isn't about locking up your brakes. The actual "stopping power" comes before your brakes lock up. A person can brake the best if they don't lock up their brakes. That's what ABS does, it prevents your brakes from locking up for you, by pulsing the brakes on and off, and this actually slows you down faster.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

its defenently the rotors. i had the same thing with the pulsing pedal. just replace them both. and since your already doing it you might as well just get the brembo kit if you have some spare change

Old 11-03-2005, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

Those rotors are nice, but those pads SUCK. Get some HAWK pads. Ive got those pads AND the brembo crossed drilled.....car stops much better than stock

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I would stay away from drilled/cross drilled rotors. there is less metal so they tend to crack alot easier..

I drive the crap outta my car and am constantly going hard on my brakes. Rotors arent even slightly worn. Your car will NEVER see enough braking heat to crack these things.......Youre saying they crack? Have u ever seen it? Prob not, this is just some kinda nonsense rumor going around about those. Look at the Rotora, Wildwood, Brembo and other big brake kits.........theyre all crossed drilled, and so why would those companies put out a bad product? Cuz it looks cool with rims? I dont think so.

i guess thats like my 10 cents lol.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Cat Fuсker

Look at most AMG brake rotors...they're cross drilled and slotted...I wouldn't think MB would put something that'll crack into their VERY high end cars

Old 11-04-2005, 12:29 AM

I had the same rotor problem with my 98' ex. I purchased some powerstop cross drilled rotors from summit racing for around $60 and they work like a charm. I also replaced the brake pads with semi metallics. I've had them for 3 months and there still slowing me down with no problems.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

Thats wat i always hear, that they crack. Thats wat my auto teacher tells me, but he might be meaning in the long run. And i have never actually seen rotors crack so i don't have first hand experiance, so u may very well be correct.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Cat Fuсker

I have seen rotors crack...MY rotors on the caravan...came to a complete stop from 90 mph into a deep puddle...both rotors (plain cheap-a$$ rotors) split in half

Old 11-04-2005, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

Thats cause u rapidly heated them and rapidly cooled them, i hardly think that counts as normal, even for extreme braking.

Quick Reply: Warped rotor, ack.