Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

weird noise after drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy weird noise after drop

i have koni/gc combo on my 98 civic sedan and i installed them last summer. but recently it started to make noises in the back. i torqued everything down to spec. it sounds like the top mount is hitting the shock top hat but when i look everything looks in tack. would a aftermarket top hat from gc make a diffrence? i installed them as per DIY in HT so could've not messed it up. any suggestions??

Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

What kind of noise? A squeak, a clunk? Not sure if it's relevant to your problem, but mine started squeaking when it got cold. I thought it was the struts, but it turned out to be the rear upper control arms binding in the trailing arm mounts.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

its actually more of a clunk. its funny cause it did that before and i took it apart to see if anything was wrong but nothing looked wrong. any more suggestions?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 AM
HCF Member

maybe a ball joint. and with you dropping it, it made it worse. lift your car, where your wheel is off the ground. put one hand on the side of the wheel, and one on the other side. so left hand on left side of tire, right hand on right side of tire. and move your hands back and forth. if there is alittle play, you might need balljoints. either way, your going to need an alignment after a drop, and if you take it for an alignment, they check all that and tell you if something is wrong. and you can go from there.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

no ball joints in back

but do you have a rear sway bar installed? If so it might be the end links, unless they're sealed.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

yea i got the asr brace i just noticed that both endlinks snapped off so i just have the lollipops on there. but do you guys really think it would cause the clunk noise? this is really annoying, any more ideas?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

maybe the broken end links or sway bar is hitting the rear control arms.

The blox adjustable end links I had before would clunk eventually because of dirt and grime eating the bearings.

I bought the blox nonadjustable end links because they are sealed, so far have worked flawlessly and I don't think I'll be having any problems from them in the near future.

and I'm not sure how you had the end links installed, but make sure when they're mounted they're straight up and not at a sideways angle when looking at it from the back.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

well hopefully, i need to order new ones but thanks for the heads up

Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 AM

yeah probably the endlinks. My Function7 adjustable endlinks clunk when they don't have enough grease on them.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
HCF Member

do you think the clunk noise has anything to do with the GC sleeves?

Quick Reply: weird noise after drop