Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
HCF Member
Default What is this?

I just bought this 98 Civic coupe a week ago. It rides really stiff. The dealer says it wasn't lowered. I beg to differ.

Here's a pic of the struts:
front

rear

It looks like the coils can be adjusted to change either ride height or quality. Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to strut/dampers. Thanks

-Ryan

Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: What is this?

the dealer's full of sheeeit, that is not your stock suspension.

Do you have a pic of the whole car? How much does it look like it's lowered?

<- not a suspension expert

edit: I found your pictures, you definitely have less wheel gap than me, or Forty

Old 11-16-2005, 08:57 PM
mxs
HCF Member

This thread should help you: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_103891/tm.htm

Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Very good, sir. That helps out a lot. Now I just have to find some of those special wrenches so I can make some adjustments. I'll have to yell at the dealer. [:@]

ORIGINAL: mxs

Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Very good, sir.
^ that's "ma'am" -- if you must

The picture in the other thread, I found that by searching for "coilover adjusting wrenches"

Old 11-16-2005, 09:56 PM

eBay coilover sleeves...

Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

and that one on the front needs to be locked back up. those two rings need to be seated to each other to help stop them from moving. what a jackass dealer. oh, and those look kinda cheap, thats probably why its so stiff.

Old 11-17-2005, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Rainingbullets

Very good, sir. That helps out a lot. Now I just have to find some of those special wrenches so I can make some adjustments. I'll have to yell at the dealer. [:@]

ORIGINAL: mxs

Hey i just got my car lifted back up to stock height for the winter and ill tell you it rides alot better but you might need a 4 wheel alignment. On all 4 tires on my car the toe was off and the camber on one was off but thats what happens with a lowered car i guess. Also not a suspension person.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

it dosent make sence that a dealer would say thos were stock[&:][&:]...i would go back and argue with him

Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

Seriously. Well, here's what I did. I take off all four tires and loosened up those threaded things on the coil overs. (I don't know what they're called). This lowers the back about an inch and the front about half an inch. Well, I take it for a test drive and I guess it's a little too loose because now the tires rub on the fenderwells like there's no tomorrow. So scrap that idea. Reverse process, I put everything back the way it was. Still rides like ****, but at least nothing rubs and makes any nasty sounds.

Which brings me to my next question: What are a good set of coils to get that will drop the ride a bit, but will still ride smooth?

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

it dosent make sence that a dealer would say thos were stock[&:][&:]...i would go back and argue with him