Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
HCF Member
Default What do you think?

Im planning on re-painting my rims this weekend and just want to confirm if everything is ok.

1. Im going to use 400grit sandpaper to removed the old clearcoat/paint then use 800 grit to smooth it out.
2. Clean it up with water and some kind of cleaner. (what should i use?)
3. Spray some primer on about 3 times
4. Spray the paint until it look good.
5. Spray some clear coat about 5 times.
6. Let it dry

Few question:
1. Is it safe to use paint stripper on alloy wheels?
2. Why is there a few different type of color primer? Does it matter what color primer you use?
3. Whats the different between engine and rims paint? I called Autozone and they said the only different is the engine paint can take more heat and its cheaper than paint for rims. They say it doesn't matter if you use engine, rims or body paint on rims.
4. I can just go to wal-mart and buy a dupli-color clear coat from wal mart and it will just work as great on rims right?
5. I know after im done there will be some bumpy small texture on it so to removed them you sand it down right?

Any tip on painting rims would help.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Default RE: What do you think?

paint stripper, yes. different colored primer is used with darker or lighter paints.rim paint that ive seen is only silvers.engine paint will work,more colors too. Try to use the same clear coat brand as the paint (duplicolor).Im no expert ,just got tips

Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 AM
HCF Member

All of your efforts will fall short...the wheels WILL ship and look like hell in no time...
Powder coat em. The stuffs nearly bullitproof, and colors up the wazzu. Most coaters will do a "simple" wheel for about 60.00

Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

i agee..i have seen lots of people paint and in a couple months look bad

..but it sounds like you got down the process, once you got the first couple cotes of primer on, use some sand paper to scuff it up a bit so the paint sticks better

Old 03-09-2006, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

I personally have had a bad experience with painting my wheels. I did the whole sanding down and everything. It chips pretty easily and its hard to keep them looking like you want them. My advice as well is to get them powder coated. It will last for a very long time! Good Luck!!!

Old 03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

where do you get them powdered coated?

Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

I read some old post on here and some say that it you powder coat it you will also have to put it in the oven which will weakend the rims.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

Powder coating does NOT degrade the integrity of any piece of any kind of metal. Its been used in the auto customizing industry for years.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

What do you think if I just primer over the paint and repaint then clear coat it?

Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

Got my rims painted today and it only cost me a total of $10. Looks pretty good too. Right now im just gonna let it sit for and awhile and clear coat it tomorrow. I'll take a picture later.

Quick Reply: What do you think?