HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   wheel spacers (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/wheel-spacers-56821/)

07_civiclx_ms 12-07-2007 01:59 PM

wheel spacers

worth it? or not. ive got stock steel rims but am looking to get rims eventually. would it be worth it to get spacersnow or just wait until ive got the rims?

reaper2022 12-07-2007 03:22 PM

RE: wheel spacers

By spacers, do you mean those plastic rings that go in aftermarket wheels? I thought they came with most wheels (mine did). Then again, I bought a wheel package (wheels, tires (mounted/balanced), lugs, spacers, etc.)

civicexracer 12-07-2007 03:34 PM

dont buy spacers unless u really have to. just make sure u buy a wheel with the correct offset and u wont have to use spacers.

sfazngiants 12-07-2007 05:35 PM

what are wheel spacers for?

civicexracer 12-07-2007 05:45 PM

What H&R TRAK+ Wheel Spacers Do:
H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers move the wheel out from the hub, effectively widening the stance of the vehicle and lowering its roll centre. This simple modification increases lateral stability, which in turn provides improved handling, greater safety and of course, the sleek style you’ve been looking for. Depending on vehicle make and model they are available for most domestic and imported automobiles.
Wheel spacers are also used when a cars such as: Mitsubitsu 3000GT / GTO, Peugeot 406's or some Alfa Romeo's (to name a few) have upgraded brakes, and want to fit aftermarket alloy wheels on, but the larger brake callipers prevents this by coming into contact with the alloy wheel. Other customers of ours needs wheel spacers when they have used brake upgrade kits such as Brembo products. As our fully trained staff deal with such issues on a day to day basis we have unique expert knowledge in this area, unlike other companies who sell wheel spacers. Make sure you deal with a professional knowledgeable company when purchasing alloy wheel spacers.
i say only buy them if u really have to because i've heard of many incidents where bad things happen, mainly due to studs breaking. theres no need to buy spacers if u buy a wheel with the right specs. unless ur looking to build a race car and are looking to improve handling.

07_civiclx_ms 12-08-2007 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

i say only buy them if u really have to because i've heard of many incidents where bad things happen, mainly due to studs breaking. theres no need to buy spacers if u buy a wheel with the right specs. unless ur looking to build a race car and are looking to improve handling.
never thought about the studs breaking, guess i figured a good company would make them strong enough to not break. thanks

KarTuneMan 12-08-2007 05:13 PM

With spacers, the lug nuts have less stud to hang on to....this is the problem. There are also hub centering rings....these are for aftermaket wheels that have a certain bolt pattern, but need to fit a variety of vehicle makes. The center hole (hub hole) is large, and doesn't fit tight on the hub as the O.E. wheel.
There is hub centric, and lug centric. Hub rings are usually used when there is a vibration problem.

projectlowkey 12-11-2007 10:26 PM

i thought about getting a set of eibach wheel spacers a while ago and ended up not buying them. all it does, especially for lowered cars, is give you a wider, more stable stance. it is supposed to improve the cars handling, but at the same time you're puttingmore weight &stress on the wheel studs instead of the struts & springs.usually this results in the spacers breaking. you're better off not getting them. there are plenty of other, more effective,ways to upgrade your suspension.

rytmitz 02-25-2008 03:29 PM

Wheel studs offer the ability to mount a wheel that is not factory supplied to that vehicle. Screw-in studs with a larger than original threaded diameter portion permit mounting of honda wheels with larger diameter holes. Wheel studs of longer length allow the use of wheel spacers to move a wheel further out to compensate for rubbing or backspacing issues or for simple cosmetic purposes.

Kommando 02-26-2008 02:52 PM

Spacers make no sense to me. Just get wheels with the correct offset.