Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

wheel well clearance

Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Default wheel well clearance

The wheel wells on an ej8 have a sort of "pinch weld" on the upper portion of them that have a plastic lining over top of them..after a few times of bottoming out (lowered 3" and no i dont want to raise it up) the pinch weld cuts in to the tire and basically shreds it up...i was thinking about grinding that pinch weld off and then laying a piece of sheet metal in its place and welding that into the wheel well so its flat and will still offer the same support as the "pinch weld" has anybody ever done this or know of anybody who has done this any info about this would greatly be appreciated

Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: wheel well clearance

I can't picture what you're talking about, and my car is probably lower than that

Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 PM

idk if your much lower b/c im just about as low as a car can go and still be drivable...front bumper is about 3.5 inches off the ground

(winter wheels dont mind the white)

Old 12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I mean I can't picture the "weld" that you are talking about. do you just mean the edge of the fender? or where it meets the bumper??

Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 PM

on the top of the fender inside of the wheel well there is a support that connect from the front of the fender..(by the bumper) to the back of the fender (by the door) that runs almost directly in the center of the wheel well on top (directly over the center of your tire) if you take the plastic cover off you can see it but my tires rubbed the plastic off so now it just cuts in the tire.....does that help at all?

Old 12-17-2006, 10:24 PM
mxs
HCF Member

no, I haven't taken my fenderwell liner out, I guess that's why I can't picture it.

out of curiosity, what size tires do you have, and what's the size/offset on your wheels? looks like they stick out farther than mine which might be part of the problem.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:27 PM

well my summer wheels are 17" +42 offset..running 205/40/17 tires...and my winter wheels are just stock steel wheels painted white running 195/60/14 tires...and MXS i was wondering if the wheels you have are a honda performance wheel..and if so..were they very pricey...im loving the wheels and cant find them anywhere

Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ok, that's lower offset, but my tires are 205's also. but since I can't see what you're talking about I still don't know if you can cut that weld off. do you have the fender rolled at all?

ORIGINAL: 98 EJ8

MXS i was wondering if the wheels you have are a honda performance wheel..and if so..were they very pricey...im loving the wheels and cant find them anywhere
yes, and no, I got them from a honda dealer last summer, prices have gone up since then though.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 PM

nope no fender rolling involved..the wheels are actaully tucked (not tire...wheel is tucked lol) in the rear and it still doesnt rub..i just needed that extra little bit in the front and thats whats giving me problems...so i think im going to take a look at it..and if i do it ill take pictures as im doing it to show the process and if it works....im going to cut the peice off as one peice so if it doesnt work i can just weld it back in place

Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 PM

out of curiousity does it rub with your summer tires as well?

if it doesn't, i'd think the outer diameter of your setup during winter is larger than summer, so they'd rub while your summers wouldn't..

would also make your speedometer and odometer inaccurate..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel well clearance