Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

will aftermarket shocks lower a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member
Default will aftermarket shocks lower a car?

this is probably a really stupid question, but i was reading a thread on another forum and now im wondering about it..

if i have my tein springs, if i installed aftermarket shocks would it lower my car more?

im thinking NO....but i may be wrong

Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Default RE: will aftermarket shocks lower a car?

i think a few companies make adjustable height shocks, but i dont think u can adjust the height all that much on em. for most shocks tho, no, they wont lower the car.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM

The only shock which you cold change your height that I know of is the koni yellows. Most other shocks will have the same height.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

how would it change the hight? doesnt the spring hold your car up? not the shocks?

Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

I thought the shocks and struts worked in unison. Cuz if you have a blown shock that side sags quite a bit.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

the Konis only "change" the ride height if you move the snap ring that holds the spring perch. There are 3 different positions for it.

Here's mine, you can see the bottom and middle positions. PIC

Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 AM

doesent that just effect the spring??? because wouldent the overall eye to eye length be the same when the shock is static with no sag?? unless the lowers are a seperate unit from the dampening system itself.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:17 AM
mxs
HCF Member

if I understand your question... no. the springs hold the car up. not the shocks. you change the ride height when you change the spring height, or the point where the spring sits on the shock.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

i looked at that photo mxs and im not sure were to look. Is the snap ring even sopposed to be moved?

but eather way im guessing if you change the shock it wont make much of a difference in the way the car sits

Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM

The shock does two things. It 'holds' the spring and it keeps it from compressing or rebounding too quickly. The adjustability of the ride height is done by changing how the shock holds the spring. By changing the location that the spring rests at you end up changing the length of the entire setup.

lookin at the pic, the top white line I drew is the uncompressed length of the shock. The bottom white line shows the adjustability. The line in the middle of that bottom line is where it's set right now. By moving the gold colored adjuster up or down, you change the length of the shock by changing where the spring starts.

Shocks that aren't adjustable are set at a certain length, not necessarily the same length of your stock shocks.

edit: ~just thought I'd add a disclaimer, I've never played with shocks so there's the possibility I have no idea what I'm talkin about

[IMG]local://upfiles/8477/0A98FC0316AB42B5A84CB5B4D1B23FB4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: will aftermarket shocks lower a car?