Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Wobbling fits?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
HCF Member
Default Wobbling fits?!

So okay....i hit a pothole with my 17" rims, and now they wobble....sometimes! I checked to see if it was the rims by putting my steelies back on, and with the steelies on there was no wobble, so i'm pretty sure its the rims. Now its my front right tire, and when i drive and put my head out the window and look at the rim, it looks warped [:@]but the thing is, when i'm driving 60 dwon the road there are times when it will stop wobbling complteely, like compltely normal. Then all the sudden it will start shaking violently, like realyl really bad, almost unbearable, and then a second later be just fine. What could i have bent that would cuase it to only wobble sometimes?!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wobbling fits?!

Probably lost a wheel weight when you hit the pot hole, but like you said it could be warped too

Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

well when i stick my head out my window when i'm driving, going like 30, i cna see it wobble a bit. What are wheel weights, and are they replacable?

Could this have anything to do with my alignment, or my wheelneeding to be balanced?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
HCF Member

Seriously? you don't know about wheel weights? how do you think they balance them lol . yes they are replaceable, you would just need it balanced again.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

The rim is prolly bent. Maybe a wheel weight fell off. Either way, the center of mass/moment of inertia is thrown off. This means taht you will get some wierd wobbling. The reason that sometimes it doesn't wobble might have to do with the physics of a spinning body. At some frequency, the wobble might go away but other frequencies it might be fine. If it still happens when you ahve the steelies on, then another part of the car might be damaged.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

naw i dont think it wobbles with the steelies, the cheapest i can find another rim of mine is $230 shipped [:@]you think it could be something as simple as it being balanced?

And what about putting it on the back, would i feel the wobble as much?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

You can try having it balanced but if your rim is bent it might not help. If its only like $5.00 to balance i think its worth a shot.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

yea i'll try that, when they're balacning it thin kthey could tell me if its bent?

And its just weird becasue at times its perfectly fine, but then it;ll wobble really violently, and then be just fine...just kinda weird.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Cat Fuсker

put the front ones in the back and that'll cure the wobble for a little. You might look into a shop that can get it straightened out.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

sometime this week i'm getting my tires rotated and that one re-balanced or whatever the tire shop can do with it.

and Gene i've been looking all over around here for shops that will fix a warped rim but cant seem to find any [:@]is it a common thing for a shop to be able to do?

thanks for the info though you guys, highly appreciated

Quick Reply: Wobbling fits?!