Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Would just shocks be good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Would just shocks be good?

Basically my cheapo Bomz coilover sleeveshave totally mangled my stock shocks. I dont even classify them as shocks anymore, but instead, 4 pogo sticks. Now i kno that getting some new adjustable kyb's (or any aftermarket shock) will help the bounciness and the ride qualitya lot. My question is though, will i be happy with the ride quality with just new shocks and the cheapo coils? Or should i just start over and mix and match some shocks (kyb/koni)with some coilover sleeves that are more reputable such as skunk 2 or ground controls? Will the ride quality increase dramatically with the better adjusted spring rate sleeves compared to the cheapo's? I ask this because i hear people that have expensive coilover sleeves(GC or Skunk2) and aftermarket shocks saythat the ride is bouncy, and if its gonna be bouncy anyway, i can save some money and just get new shocks instead of new sleeves 2. Getting springs is out of the question and so is getting an expensive full coilover set, (aside from mayb a skunk 2 setup), so plz dont reccomend these 2 options (i kno somebody still will) lol What should i do? Thanx

Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Default RE: Would just shocks be good?

My question is though, will i be happy with the ride quality with just new shocks and the cheapo coils?
-probably not

Or should i just start over and mix and match some shocks (kyb/koni)with some coilover sleeves that are more reputable such as skunk 2 or ground controls?
-that'd be a much better idea

Will the ride quality increase dramatically with the better adjusted spring rate sleeves compared to the cheapo's?
-depends on the spring rates u get and also what setting u have the shocks at.

I ask this because i hear people that have expensive coilover sleeves(GC or Skunk2) and aftermarket shocks saythat the ride is bouncy, and if its gonna be bouncy anyway, i can save some money and just get new shocks instead of new sleeves 2.
-it depends on the spring rates and shock setting. with my rates on the GC and with the Koni's set at their highest, its pretty bouncy(but handles so freakin nice). but when i set the Konis down a bit, its not as bouncy and the ride is a little more livable.

What should i do?
-both Koni/KYB and Skunk2/Ground Control are reputable and u get alot out of them for what u pay. what is ur goal with ur car as far as handling goes? spirited daily driving? autoxer? drag car?just style with comfort?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the reply.......what im looking to do is a hybrid between style /comfort + spirited daily driving lol I need coilovers because i need to have a secure frame of mind with the ability to change height at any time in case of rubbing/change of tire size or width etc.. I can handle somewhat of a bouncy ride....but what i have now is ridiculously bad, and bumps get so violent its starting to get dangerous......today on the highway i drove over a section of road that was slightly elevated going 70 mph and the car almost left the ground along with my ability to control it. [] I just feel as if getting another coilover sleeve would conclude with the same result as my current coilover sleeves, although i kno this might not be true.....but wen it comes to saving money im very optimistic lol then i tell myself "That is why your in the ****ty position your in now, because you fuc**** cheaped out idiot! Dont do it again" i just want to do it right the first....i mean second time and not have to deal with suspension again

Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM

lol i know how u feel. i wish i would have gotten my current suspension before i cheaped out on my Tokico HP(which still arnt bad for spirited driving IMO). i'd personally recommend the Koni yellow sports and Ground Control coilovers with their standard rates(380F/280R ). i dont personally have experience with the KYBs but ihavnt heard anything bad about them. but for about the same price u can get the Koni yellows which most ppl say are better. ur also more likely to find a Koni/GC package which will save u some money.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
HCF Member

how much did u spend for ur setup, and what are some sites with packages?......alls i get from google is ebay and craigslist lol

Old 08-22-2007, 08:15 PM

$850 shipped from http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com/D...p?Redirected=Y. it took about 3 weeks to get them in but thats because the shocks were on backorder from Koni. even still, i had very good communication with RedShift the entire time and they had me updated on the status of my order and gave me shipping info as soon as they had it. i highly recommened them. leme know if u order from them so i can get store credit