Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tires

Suspension: Konis, Ground Controls, and more

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 AM
mxs
HCF Member
Default Suspension: Konis, Ground Controls, and more

Products: Koni Sport (yellow) shocks, Ground Control coilovers, Suspension Techniques Speedtech Competition rear swaybar with subframe brace, Prothane polyurethane rear LCA and shock mount bushings

Distributor: RedShift Motorsports (Konis+GCs), Speed6Motorsports (swaybar), Pro Street Online (bushings)
Vehicle: 1999 Civic EX Coupe
Cost: somewhere around 1300 shipped for everything
Installation: took about 14-16 hours, including cutting 4 LCA bolts and burning out the stock bushings. that's with air tools, a torch, and a former Honda mechanic who has done this install many times
Overall rating: *****

I wanted a suspension setup that would be great for autocross and still tolerable on the street. This is exactly what I needed. The ride quality is still fine, it handles AMAZINGLY now, and I highly recommend it. Even if you just get the Konis/GCs and leave it at that. The shocks are adjustable stiffness, the coilovers are abviously height adjustable, the subframe brace is adjustable too. And when you can carry more speed through the corners, then, yes, new suspension does make your car faster. It's true.

Some things you should know:
- You can buy the Konis and GCs with standard spring rates for 800 bucks.
- If you decide later to change spring rates, you can buy the springs individually.
- Only Prothane makes poly LCA bushings for 96-00 Civics. Energy Suspension doesn't have them. The old ones have to be burned/cut out, and the new ones pressed in
- Buy the Konis and GCs together. Or, make sure you buy the GCs that are specifically "for Konis"
- if you've never taken out your LCA bolts and you live somewhere that has winters, you might have to cut the bolts out. Not only will you need new bolts (~$8 from the Honda dealer) but you will need to replace any bushings in which the bolts seized. Or just buy new LCAs. Be prepared.
- the instructions aren't great for any of these products; I'd recommend getting a hand from someone who's done this before.

Here are some photos from the installation.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Suspension: Konis, Ground Controls, and more

Excellent write up Marnie.

You're rear camber issue looks almost as bad as mine Are you going to use the washer trick or get a camber kit?

Car looks most excellent as always, nice work!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:51 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Are you going to use the washer trick or get a camber kit?
Already did the washer trick, after I took the pictures but before I got an alignment (which you have to do after you take your suspension apart and put it back together), it fixed it.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:44 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Just thought I should add that I would recommend this setup for any Civic, although depending on the year you might have different options, i.e. Energy Suspension does make the LCA bushings for the 5th gen Civics, just not the 6th gen. Etc.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 PM
HCF Member

I can add that after taking a lap around a pretty dynamic autocross course this setup is awesome. It really fixed everything wrong with the Civic's stock suspension:

1) Body roll is GONE.
2) Monster truck ride height, gone.
3) Sloppy (slow) weight transfer, gone.
4) Horrable understeer, gone but still controlable.

Overall, if I still had my Civic I know what I would be running. Two thumbs up.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

how does your low speed handling feel?

I almost bought a beautiful black EK coupe out of south carolina this summer with ground controls and konis.

the ride was pretty jiggly at slow speeds. It might have been from the guys car having 180,000 miles on it, though (as well as it being stolen the week before by a "prospective buyer").

Old 10-11-2006, 12:27 AM
mxs
HCF Member

it only took a couple days to get used to it. I wouldn't say it's fun on super bumpy pavement, but for the most part it's totally fine. potholes are now much easier to avoid at the last second

do you know what spring rates the guy had, and how he had the shocks set??

Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

Nice write up. I think I'm going for the ground controls over the omni powers for sure now. Thanks for sharing...

Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

it only took a couple days to get used to it. I wouldn't say it's fun on super bumpy pavement, but for the most part it's totally fine. potholes are now much easier to avoid at the last second

do you know what spring rates the guy had, and how he had the shocks set??
I don't know what spring rates the guy had, but wheel clearance was minimal it was so low.

the car was AWESOME. black head to toe with Type-R lip kit and a 600 watt DVD navigation sound system.

but it lacked emissions testing, so no luck.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

Since you do quite a bit of auto-crossing, it would be interesting to see how much you can shave off your times compared to your previous setup.

Quick Reply: Suspension: Konis, Ground Controls, and more