Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Clutch and possibly flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Default Clutch and possibly flywheel

So my car has 90k miles on it and I read that @ around 80 its good to change the clutch. Over the years my clutch feels like it slips into gears easily. I've had the car since 82k and I'm sure the previous owners didn't replace it. I want something a bit better then stocked. I understand that there are different stage type clutches and usually the higher the stage the harder it is to shift. However, I drive my buddies Evo8 with a Stage2 clutch and lighter flywheel no problems. I did feel a much different difficulty level between his stocked and upgraded one. So for all you guys who have bought a new clutch what would you recommand, all I really know is Exedy I believe, other then them I don't know any other brands. Also what is the point of grabbing a lighter flywheel would I be better of just using my stocked one?

BTW my car is 97 Civic EX: bone stock with only CIA and Megan Catback, so not much power.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: As for budget I am getting paid 364 this week and that is the budget I'd like to stay at, I'd love to save some of it too I'm only looking to get a clutch but if flywheel upgrades impresses me enough I'll have to wait another week and buy the whole deal ^^

Old 10-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Default RE: Clutch and possibly flywheel

i did a act street disc clutch cost me 285

Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 AM

Exedy stage one is much praised around here.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

^ just got mine and have +500 miles on it so far.
Stay away from aluminum flywheels (or fly apart wheels) save up and buy the good stuff.
So far stage 1 feels good for mostly stock low powered D15B7 engine. I'll let you know about the lighter flywheel in another week.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

exedy stage one FTW. and I don't know about civics, but integra-owners go koo-koo for cocoa puffs over Fidanza lightened flywheels.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Here's a post from sacicons. Not sure of the info myself, but sacs is a good source.

ORIGINAL: sacicons

personally, i dont like the aluminum flywheels, because you have to bolt the friction surface to it, and that leaves you with two metals with different thermal expansion rates bolted together, and a bunch of screws that could loosen and cause you all sorts of grief. thats why i chose the Exedy 1 piece chrome-moly flywheel. that, along with an Exedy stage1 has worked out perfectly for me.
And another.

ORIGINAL: sacicons
and as for the flywheel thing, i prefer the one piece chrome-moly ones over the aluminum ones that have the teeth pressed on and the mating surface screwed on, due to the different expansion properties of the different metals, ive heard of some seperation problems with the different metals.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys, I'm guessing Exedy stg 1 clutch FTW. As for flywheel I will have to read some post around the net about em. Is Exedys Stg 1 better then stock?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phishy
I read that @ around 80 its good to change the clutch. Over the years my clutch feels like it slips into gears easily.
Not sure what second statement means, but the first one is outright lie. It's good for a dealer or mechanic, and bad for your pocket On my first civic it took at least 150K for the clutch to show signs of wear, my second one is still fine at 140K

Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 PM

Hmm, so after looking around I found this off of summitracing

08801 Exedy Clutch
However, I have to upgrade to a HF501 flywheel in order to use this clutch :O So now the flywheel search is on.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phishy

Thanks guys, I'm guessing Exedy stg 1 clutch FTW. As for flywheel I will have to read some post around the net about em. Is Exedys Stg 1 better then stock?

However, I have to upgrade to a HF501 flywheel in order to use this clutch :O So now the flywheel search is on.
Yes Exedy Stg 1 is BETTER then stock. Feels nice and tight, without over doing it.
That 2nd part is a suggestion from EXEDY. You can use your stock flywheel as long as it gets cut and trued.(mandatory if you want EXEDY warranty)

Don't forget to check out ACT clutch stuff...comparable to EXEDY. Also..I got a 10lb flywheel and it's not super different from the stock. It does seem to allow for faster acceleration, but nothing extreme. I've heard good and bad about the 8lb flywheels. Still checking for mpg difference.

Quick Reply: Clutch and possibly flywheel