Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

getting used to Manual.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: getting used to Manual.......

ORIGINAL: TunerShark

yeah the other night i went around my block just stopping and going for like 20 minutes, so i pretty much got it going now, and i agree about the auto, ive only had a manual for 4 days and i cant even imagine myself having bought an auto, and when i drive my parents's cars i always try finding the clutch with my left foot when i first step in lol.
It becomes almost irritating to drive an auto after 6 years of driving nothing but standard, I always panic when I'm stopping because I can't find the clutch.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 PM

lmao, i feel you, ive only been driving stick for half a week and i go crazy when i get in an auto.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: amg6975

It becomes almost irritating to drive an auto after 6 years of driving nothing but standard, I always panic when I'm stopping because I can't find the clutch.
so true.
i've been driving a stick since i was 15. i'm driving a 99 buick lesabre right now b/c my car's in the body shop. i freak out all the time about the clutch not being there when i stop.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

wow, i have the same problem! you are lucky in getting your first MANUAL car. I still dont have a manual car....I got used to it in about 3 days.lol

Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 AM

5-speed is easy. Took me a month to learn how to drive an automatic.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 97 Black Civic

lmao!

Old 09-20-2006, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 97 Black Civic

lol haha.

I'm glad Tuner brought up this thread...i just got my civic last saturday and ive been practicing. Most things I am good at but getting out of first gear gave me problems for a while. My dad helped me out, right now im still riding the clutch a bit, but im sure when i get more used to the car, and having a manual, i'll be fine. Right when I got the car i liked it more then an automatic! And i didnt even know how to drive it lol.

anyway...any tips would be great. thanks in advance

Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 PM

Hey, how do you know if you're riding the clutch? I have been driving manuals for a long time. I just never understood what riding the clutch meant. All I know is that it is bad for the clutch. Sorry for the idiotic question.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 PM

its not idiotic. riding the clutch is simply keeping ur foot on the clutch more then u have too. for example...when u go from 1st to 2nd and even tho ur fine going straight and all, u still have the clutch depressed somewhat. atleast that is what i get from "riding the clutch"

Old 09-24-2006, 10:43 AM

i have an auto (hate it) but looking into a man swap soon. but i drove my friends Rav4 thts stick an never stalled it and was able to chirp it from first to second. i love manual and cant wait till i get my car swapped over.

-JP

Quick Reply: getting used to Manual.......