Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Heard both sides' arguements, now lets set it straight..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Heard both sides' arguements, now lets set it straight..

excellent, thanks guys!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Ugh, wouldnt it be worse if the car was in gear while i was knocked out? Seems to me a rolling car in neutral will do much less damage than a car lurching in gear...
More often then not a collision causing you to be unconsious the car would stall, if not it being left in gear should make it stall, if not you should be in first or second and would be moving about 6 mph. Sometimes it would be worse but I think more often then not it would be better, like sometimes wearing a seatbelt is worse if your in an accident but more often then not its better. Kinda like that................I think.

If you are worried about clutch and tranny wear, I would push clutch in and just use brakes like Sac said. I gear down though because I love the sound, and practice rev matching plus at about 12 mpg ths gas milage doesnt matter anymore.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

its all pretty normal use of the car, nothing anyone has mentioned is excessive, so it comes down to what you prefer. personally, i hold the pedal down and coast to a stop, using the brakes when i need too. i chose this over gearing down to save a bit of wear on the motor, and at 2.60 a gallon, i am trying to conserve as much fuel as possible. when i am consistently downshifting to slow myself, i notice my fuel economy drops an average of about 2-3 mpg, so its way better to replace the brake pads more often than pay for the extra gas. and i have lifetime warranty carbon-metallic pads from Autozone, so its FREE to use my brakes to slow me down. well, i guess the rotors will wear a little faster, but it still takes so long to wear out a rotor that its not a big deal.
I'm with sacicons on this one. Though it's fairly minimal, the wear and tear that compression braking puts on your engine, clutch, and drivetrain (not to mention gas usage) is something I prefer to avoid, especially since it's a lot cheaper and easier to do a brake job than a clutch job. Plus, if I get rear-ended in my 4G hatch, I'm not going to be worried about hitting another car; I'm going to be worried about whether or not the first car is going to drive up over my roof and crush me.