Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

How realiable are honda Transmisions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Default How realiable are honda Transmisions?

Im new to honda guys. Ive had just about the worst transmissions problems ever with my old car. I had 7g Gallant with a 4g64t engine in it. In 2 years i went through 4 transmissions. My stock Auto was destroyed in 2-3 months.The second auto tranny I instaled a B&M tranny cooler that one died 5 months. I payed extra for a swap. A manual tranny only have that one die in 6 months. Conclusion Dont use Cottmon Transmission ever!!!!!!!!!! they hasle the crap out of you for your warranty and try to blame you for there crapy work not to mention charge ya for bullSh*t fees after fis there work. They build glass Trannies not to mention that mitsubishi's doesnt have much of a realiable transmission in the first palce. I wasted a total of 4k on cottmans crapy work. ALL of these tranies where rebuilt with or built from scratch off after market parts(suposedly).I finaly ended up getting another tranny from a local shop in Queens because a friend refered me to them and the car was great. I never got to see how long it would last . I totataled the whole car a few months later.

But oh ye back on the subject. How good do honda tranies hold up to decent power? HOW reliable have they been?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How realiable are honda Transmisions?

Well, I've owned two Honda's with over 150k on the clock, and they still shifted smooth years later. My 15 year old Integra which I just retired, you couldn't tell that gearbox from a new one really.. I think it's safe to say Honda makes some of the best transmissions.

My friends 2 year old Ford Explorer just lost its transmission, now that's some funny ****.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

iv heard they are very reliable too..when i worked at a shop the only tranny problem we had was a guys car was to low and he cracked the casing...but this one guy was saying you can miss shifts all day and you will still be fine, i hope everyones right about the reliablity cuz i learned how to shift on my civic

Old 11-08-2005, 03:21 AM
HCF Member

There's been some issues (and a recall) on the 5sp auto trannies that are hooked up to the more powerful engines--such as the 2002-2004ish Odysseys, Pilots, some Acura models, etc. Personally, I'm a little unsure about these models, but my worries may be unfounded.

I wouldn't worry about the trannies on the four bangers. Those puppies are solid.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

they usually hold up to years of abuse, with somewhat crappy synchros. so a 3rd gear grind is not uncommon after a few years of hard driving and competition. but catastrophic failure is pretty rare. i drove my stock tranny with just about every bearing in it shredded into dust for over a week. you should have seen the play on that thing when i took it apart[:@] lets just say, a cracked bellhousing is bad. it lets dirt into the input shaft bearing, which causes hell with that, and then the chunks of that cause hell with the rest of the bearings.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:18 PM

My stock RSX Type-S tranny held up for quite some time to 600 horsepower and alot of abuse.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 PM

well I have a 97 DX with 57k and the trasmission is slowly failing...My mechanic told me that I have more or less 4 months until it dies on me and that 97 civic have a VERY high tranny failing rate!
I think I'll go for a used one for a whopping $1200
Thanks Honda!

Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 PM

auto im guessing?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

1200 for a used 97 dx tranny? ive gotten them for like 50 bucks.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

My friend's '96 tranny (manual) bit the dust earlier this year, but I don't think that the car was very well cared for.