Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

How realiable are honda Transmisions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How realiable are honda Transmisions?

A guy i know said that honda trannies (autos) are ****. Apparantly his nephew blew through 4 autos on a civic. I dunno how or any of the details and i don't realy believe him cause my own auto works fine. THe nephew has a newer civic btw. Anyone else heard of this?

Old 11-19-2005, 11:56 PM

With a manual tranny how many clutches on average do you think it will go through before the gear box is shot?

Old 11-20-2005, 01:48 AM

For me 1. (113k miles) [8D] Just had my tranny completely rebuild ( $800 ) since i had a bad bearing. I'm pretty sure it was the ISB since I've done quite a bit of searching and it seems to be one of the more frequent problems with d series manual trannies. Nothing catastrophic unless you let it go for to long and the bearing were to fail.

ORIGINAL: luilui

I think I'll go for a used one for a whopping $1200
Thanks Honda!

I was curious and went to Honda for a quote on just a rebuild tranny for my car and those SOB's wanted $2018... JUST FOR THE FREAKING TRANSMISSION. [:@] LOL

While i was waiting there was another guy that wanted to know what it would cost to get factory fogs installed on his 2004 civic. $700+!!! "BLASPHAMY" I CRIED!! They wanted a little more then $300 just for the labor.

So for you...
Lesson #1: The Honda stealership is not your friend. I know someplaces that will swap in a newer complete d16y8 (engine from ex) for around that price.

My advice is to start looking around a little more unless your ok with being completely ripped off. If you don't bother looking, at least hit up AMMCO for a price to rebuild, if its rebuildable.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:33 PM

You need to discover the import market. A used tranny from Japan with around 40,000km on it will cost less than $200. I s**t you not. Stay away from dealerships, and DO NOT pay money for someone to rebuild your tranny OE.

Old 11-21-2005, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

DO NOT pay money for someone to rebuild your tranny OE.
Unless you don't trust used stuff and don't have the time to be removing and installing trannies if the used one turned out to have issues like bad synchros or the same problematic bearing (ISB) which seems to be common for stock d16y8 transmissions. I needed the tranny ASAP so i didn't have much of a choice since i was not willing to replace it with a used tranny with more then 40k miles or older then '99.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

A guy i know said that honda trannies (autos) are ****. Apparantly his nephew blew through 4 autos on a civic. I dunno how or any of the details and i don't realy believe him cause my own auto works fine. THe nephew has a newer civic btw. Anyone else heard of this?
I'm going to guess and say Neutral Drops to smoke the tires (and tranny)

155k on my 95 DX and still very smooth

Old 11-23-2005, 12:30 PM

im on my second transmission i have a 5spd ef and the original trans had 104,000 and a bad second gear snchro when i bought it i put 20k and raced it all the time, when it went it was permanently suck in second gear. My newer trans is going now, it is starting to pop out of second gear if you let off the gas, but i bought it from a junkyard for 125 dollars and it had well over 140k on it

Old 12-02-2005, 04:58 PM
HCF Member

About that tranny, it could be possible but knowing the guy who drives it don't think he was doing too many neutral drops (he is a FOB)