Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

my clutch went out today

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default my clutch went out today

At least im pretty sure its just my clutch. I was driving home today and my friend passed me so I went to downshift to 4th and it wouldnt go back in. I went back to fifth. Then I thought it was pretty unusual since I have done it before and I was only going about 65 so it should have went into 4th easily. So I try a few more times and it wont go in. Then I give up and try to go back into 5th. It wont go. I pull over to the side of the road. I go into each gear to make sure my tranny is still there (lol) and it goes into the gears fine and engages too but makes a really nasty sound when I engage the clutch. So I get back on the road to get home. As I went to stop at the highway to get on it, I notice that pressing my clutch in doesnt really do anything. My car is still going like I didnt push the clutch in at all. Thats when I knew it was my clutch. I manage to get home by staying in 3rd and going about 50.

So should I go ahead and get an aftermarket clutch or go with OEM? I dont really want to spend much money but the way I see it, even if its a few more bucks the aftermarket one will last longer and be able to handle my driving better. So tell me what you think and also can you recommend some clutches?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: my clutch went out today

Ok maybe its not the clutch. Someone told me it may be just the linkage. I bottomed out hard a few days ago. So hopefully I just bend or loosened the linkage.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

If you kept driving it in 3rd your clutch is fine. Im not sure if your car has a hydraulic clutch system ro not btu if ti does it could be the slave cylinder i believe. If not you could have a bad clutch cable.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

Ya its hydro. I checked the fluids and they seem fine.