Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

No Go

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Default No Go

I replaced my axles w/ cv joints and took a test ride about 6 mi, all was well. The next day I went after lunch and when leaving I lost power to the wheels as I put it in 2 I heard a pop and was dead in the water. I just jacked it up and with the tranny in gear I turner both axles and both were turning from the wheel to the tranny. Did I just lose my tranny? Thanks. 2001 civic lx 4 dr 5 sp.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like an axle popped out of the transmission. When you turned one wheel, did the other also turn?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Both axles are all the way in and when I turn the right the left does not turn

Old 03-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When one wheel is turned, the other should also turn. Post a picture of the gap between each axle and the transmission. Should only be about 1/8" or so.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:21 PM

RONJ you were right. The left side popped out.Now my problem is the teeth on the outside of the retainer ring were ground off and the metal parts are in the transmission. I'm wondering if I can flush the trans or do I need to pull it?

Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by wubbasnake
RONJ you were right. The left side popped out.Now my problem is the teeth on the outside of the retainer ring were ground off and the metal parts are in the transmission. I'm wondering if I can flush the trans or do I need to pull it?
Drain and refill the transmission with Honda MTF. I think the drain bolt is magnetic, which also should help with metal shavings. Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Chubby Chaser

5 speed plug isnt magnetic, and is on the side of the trans so it wont be so easy, you might have to drop the trans and split it to get the metal out, i have an idea that you may be lucky enough to pull axles out and use a magnetic stick and collect the metal with the stick through the axle holes.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
5 speed plug isnt magnetic, and is on the side of the trans so it wont be so easy, you might have to drop the trans and split it to get the metal out, i have an idea that you may be lucky enough to pull axles out and use a magnetic stick and collect the metal with the stick through the axle holes.
Good points.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Cat Fuсker

The plug isn't magnetic, but there is a magnet inside there... or at least there was one in my S40. Still I wouldn't rely on it catching the bigger pieces in time. Magnetic stick is a damn good idea.