Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Performance Upgrades on Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Default Performance Upgrades on Automatic

I have a little post in the I/H/E section about upgrades I have planned on the civic I just got. But I have been reading some stuff and just want to clarify a couple of things before I go screw everything up.

Since my car is an automatic is there any reason why I shouldnt or cant add performance upgrades like I/H/E?

2nd I am not sure if it applies to automatic transmissions but I read somewhere that replacing you "pulleys" is a good thing to do (I am not sure of what they are so feel free to take a minute and explain)

3rd is there anything I can do / replace / upgrade to make my transmission last longer and work better? I read honda auto tranny's were not the best.

4th When getting upgrades like this do you need to take the car to a shop to get retuned for each one? Is there any specific upgrades that you need to get retuned on? Or is that just a turbo thing? And what does getting it tuned mean exactly?

and lastly Was getting a automatic a bad choice to start with even though this is going to be a daily driver?

Thanks for the help please comment before I start wasting money on stuff :P lol

Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Performance Upgrades on Automatic

1st:what year, model is your civic?

2nd: these mods do not increase power enough to create a problem with the reliability of your auto

3rdulleys are the round metal "wheel" looking things that are hooked up to your alternator,ps pump, crank,a/c compressor and finally water pump. the accesory drive belt on the side of your motor spins off of the crank pulley. which in turns spins the aforementioned pulleys that give these mentioned objects power to operate.(i.e pumps coolant through water pump, spins alternator reluctor ring to power up your electrical system) by buying aftermarket pulleys you make the diameter smaller (which can add HP,torque but will hurt the said devices operating power)or lighter(not much gain) but beware of crank pulley replacement as this can apparently hurt your engine (search for further info in other forums)

4th: i've been wondering the same thing too. anyone?

stay tuned for part 2!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

for your last 2 questions

HERE is part 2!!!

6th: for simple I/H/E mods no retuning is necassary as these are just simply aiding your engine to function more efficiently. it does not add more spark or fuel. these are commonly the things that would require a tune. turbos add in a ton more air which requires more fuel to burn as to not be lean(which will destroy engines faster than you can think)
most every vehicle can be affected by a tune but the difference is minimal in what is basically a stock engine. that is why a F/I civic requires a tune.

Lastly: I too have an auto and i have no complaints (YET) as long as your boy racer dreams don't outgrow your reasons for needing the car in the first place than the auto will serve you well

Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

sorry if my response may have seemed arrogant or pushy or any other negative things. i have a habit of doing that sometimes

Old 08-18-2006, 11:42 PM

Hey thanks much for posting some help for me. I tried to post a couple of days ago but right when I hit "OK" my internet died. For your question at the top my car is a 2000 dx hatch. I dont have any pics of it yet but prob next thursday I will start to update my album.

A question for you or for anyone else. On the pulleys I was looking at getting the AEM Pulley replacement thing. From what I read they only are lighter. Does anyone know any more about these? If they will not hurt my car then I might consider doing them even if they dont give that big of a boost. I think they look better..... But overall what matters is the life of the car so I do not want to hurt it in anyway so what do yall think?

I also am in need of replacing my belts and water pump which I heard was not to hard....I also thought that if I got the new pulley system that it would come with all the belts I need to replace plus they will look better so I can kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone. On top of that anyone know where I can get a new water pump?

Old 08-19-2006, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

their is a drawback to all underdrive pulleys (i'm presuming they are underdrive, correct me if i am wrong) but to some the added horses and torque (which is miniscule) is everything. like those fanatics who will take out their stereo for the extra 3.2 puonds they shed. i wouldn't suggest doing it unless you don't want a high powered stereo,lights,air conditioning,etc.

CAUTION: do not buy an aftermarket crank pulley, because i have heard that the stock honda crank has a dampener built into it that the aftermarket does not have. this will throw you're engine out of balance. damage can occur.