Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Skunk2 short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Skunk2 short shifter

im looking into buying a short shifter and i found two kinds , a single bend and a dual bend. anyone know the diff between the two? they look kinda similar , the only difference that i can tell by looking at it is that the dual has its bend way more agressive. and also is there any problems in getting one? i mean it wont f*ck anything up?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Skunk2 short shifter

skunk2 is the one of the best. dual bend is fine, i have one and has very nice positioning while shifting.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

ya my uncle has skunk2 in his teggy and its really smooth and short

Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 PM

I attempted to install the skunk2 single bend on my '00 EX coupe. I got everything put back in but when I shift it is really stiff, also 5th and reverse are hitting the exhaust. I double checked everything and everything is back together as it was, no extra parts. I'm baffaled...any ideas?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 PM
HCF Member

did you put the shifter in backwards?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
HCF Member

remove the heat shield near the shifter unit. or you can bend it to fit. just look at the shield, if there are scratches on the shield, then you know that that's what was rubbing.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to take it 1/2 apart tonight again. I bought some bushings for the linkage as it was loose. I think you might be right about the heat shield too. I know I was (not the smartest thing) using it as leverage to loosen some bolts. I've been getting used to the stiffness and I have noticed in my search that that is quite common. Now all I have to do is figure where the damn tranny is leaking from and replace my clutch...

Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

single bend and dual bend are all preference, its just different positioning, i have dual bend

Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 PM

So I took it all apart again, I'm confident to say that I installed it correctly the first time. The linkage hitting the exhaust is the shifter being too low or the exhaust being too high. I have found a rubber pad thing on ebay to help reduce how low the linkage sits. Hopefully that will help unless anyone else with an '00 EX coupe (or similar) has any ideas...

*edit to be precise the attached picture has a circle of what is hitting the exhaust.

thanks guys!

-Alex

Old 08-02-2007, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

my dual bend short shifter does the exact same thing, i wouldnt really worry about it, unless its rubbing REALLY bad. Skunk2 makes great short shifters, but quite a few people (myself included) have Ebay short shifters and they work just fine. I heard somewhere that short shifters shorten the life of your tranny, but not really sure why, oh well, i'm keeping mine. Also, i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting some polyurethane bushings for your shift linkage. Makes SUCH a difference and its like $12 shipped. You should just do it at the same time when you're down there installing the short shifter.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 short shifter