HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Transmission & Differential (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/)
-   -   Transmission Problems? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/transmission-differential-39/transmission-problems-70554/)

nitika 10-10-2008 08:44 PM

Transmission Problems?

I have a 2003 Honda Civic with 80,400 miles on it. I just had to replace the transmission. This weekend I was driving and my check engine light went on, the car wouldn't shift into third gear, it hesitated when I put it in reverse and it smelled like buring oil. Did the mechanics forget to attach something? Will I need to get another transmission, or is something else wrong? Thanks.

trustdestruction 10-10-2008 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by nitika (Post 595288)
Did the mechanics forget to attach something?

Another question would be: Did the mechanics forget to put in something? (i.e. transmission fluid)

Call them and tell them what's up, and make sure they don't charge you to fix it if it's their fault.

knoxville 10-11-2008 01:31 AM

Is it an automatic? If so it might be a torque converter issue. Was the torque converter replaced along with the transmission. I would look into that.

trustdestruction 10-11-2008 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by knoxville (Post 595323)
Is it an automatic? If so it might be a torque converter issue. Was the torque converter replaced along with the transmission. I would look into that.

read his post again
it's a manual transmission

RonJ 10-11-2008 06:03 AM

I agree with Trust -- Start by calling the mechanic and checking whether the transmission is low on fluid. As there are no CEL codes for a manual transmission, the OP actually may have an automatic transmission. To retrieve the CEL code(s) from the ECU, you would need to take the car to AutoZone, though this may not be feasible at this point.

trustdestruction 10-11-2008 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ (Post 595348)
I agree with Trust -- Start by calling the mechanic and checking whether the transmission is low on fluid. As there are no CEL codes for a manual transmission, the OP actually may have an automatic transmission. To retrieve the CEL code(s) from the ECU, you would need to take the car to AutoZone, though this may not be feasible at this point.

yea but he said he couldn't shift into third gear. If he couldn't shift into 3rd, he probably would also say he can't shift into 2nd or 1st (or whatever the 01-05 Auto Shifter calls it)
kinda odd because yea there's no CEL for manual transmission

RonJ 10-11-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 595400)
yea but he said he couldn't shift into third gear. If he couldn't shift into 3rd, he probably would also say he can't shift into 2nd or 1st (or whatever the 01-05 Auto Shifter calls it)
kinda odd because yea there's no CEL for manual transmission

Yeah, I guess we need to wait for clarification.