West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Lowering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Default Lowering Issue

Hi guys! I just bought a set of KYB AGX & GC coilovers for my EX 1995 and I was wondering how low can I go when I lower my car. I just want to lower it to about an inch (1") or (1 1/2"). It's only for everyday driving to work and back and not for autox. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-09-2006, 08:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Lowering Issue

I was wondering how low can I go when I lower my car
As low as you want. What are you asking?? Is this about tire rub? Camber issues? scraping speed bumps?
1 1/2 inch will be no problem at all. No camber needed and usually no rubs with stock or +1 size rims.

I have a 95 DX hatch with (i believe) a 2" drop and +2 rims with no rub or issues. I am considering a camber front and back though.
PS you'll get more replys if you post this in the Suspension/tire section.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3798/9B044D1A35FF4F5B91DE5407CFED6202.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2006, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

I wouldn't go more than 1.25 in teh rear and maybe 1.75 in the front. You will have camber issues after that.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 PM

Hi guys! Thanks for the response! I finally installed my new suspensions and tested them today on my way to work. It did great. A little stiff but handled better especially on corners. I lowered the front about an inch and the rear about 1 1/2" so I won't have to worry about rubbing the fenders or camber issues and set the the shocks/struts stiffness to 3. However, I might need alignment (or do I need one?) Anyways, I've also changed my stock rims to 17" on 205x40 tires and they looked even better after lowering my EX95. I'll post some pics next time guys so you can see my car.

Thanks dogmeat! I'll try to post this on the suspension/tire forum.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

I might need alignment (or do I need one?)
Yes and soon. Any suspension work messes up the alignment. If you plan on doing more work some shops will give you a life time alignment....kind of a rip off unless you do a bunch of stuff often.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Ei8

I've heard that as long as a car is lowered, an alignment can never be done. Is that true? Can you align a lowered vehicle?

Old 04-15-2006, 12:24 AM

yes u can. its the 1st thing you want done after you get it lowered. without a camber kit, the person doing the alignment wont be able to get everything on 0, but as close as they can. with a camber kit, they can get them to 0, or whatever you'd like.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 PM

i've lowered my 99 ex a few months ago, installed the neuspeed race springs and haven't aligned or done any camber yet...i drive less than 6 miles to and from work, is it ok if i postpone doing the alignments on my civic since i only drive less than 6 miles everyday?

Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

Well, yes you CAN, but the money you're trying to save in the end will come back to bite you. The reason you want to get it aligned (other then that it puts stress on parts of your suspension when not correct) is that it puts your tires at an angle that isn't optimal. When you hear people talk about camber, it means that when you lower it, the top of the wheel is towards the center of the car further than the bottom. This means that the inside of your tire is going to wear MUCH faster than the outside. Just bite the bullet and get the alignment...it shouldn't be more than $50-$75.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:23 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mayorpol

is it ok if i postpone doing the alignments on my civic since i only drive less than 6 miles everyday?
no, get it done, it only costs like 70 bucks. cheaper than a new set of tires.

Quick Reply: Lowering Issue