Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Civic HX problems, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 09:28 AM
Default 2001 Civic HX problems, no codes

I have a 01 Civic HX that I’ve been having nonstop issues with and I just need my car back asap. Originally, the only code the car has ever had was an o2 code that went away as soon as I replaced it and it hasn’t came back since then and I’ve gotten no others. I ended up replacing the first catalytic converter(it has 2) that’s built into the manifold and the thing was literally busted into a million pieces inside, but that didn’t fix the problem at all so I was going to just go ahead and replace the 2nd cat that’s underneath the engine but I’m just not sure since there’s ZERO codes to even help me out here. The car starts up okay and idles decent but then once it runs for a bit and the car gets up to operating temp; it starts to stall out eventually and will just die and struggle to start up again. If I try and give it any gas at all while it’s running, it’ll bog down really bad and die immediately unless I keep the rpm’s up. I know I need to bleed the clutch again a lot better but that’s definitely not the issue I’m having(at least I don’t know how it could be). Does anyone think that I was right in the first place and I should just go ahead and replace my 2nd cat or it’s maybe something else? I’ve done a lot of reading and seen that the throttle position sensor on the 2001 cars had issues with going out and people didn’t get codes for it sometimes, and I’ve also read that it could possibly be something to do with my EGR as well but I don’t know how to to about testing either or those. When I get home from work today I was going to just go ahead and see what happens when I unplug my EGR valve but idk if that’ll do anything. Also, it’s definitely not my ECU either because that was my very first idea since that happened to my last 7th gen civic and it went into limp mode because the ECU got fried from the alternator coming a little loose but this doesn’t seem like limp mode to me or not at all how my other one acted in it. I’ve already replaced the ECU with another HX one that I know for sure is the right ecu and it didn’t change anything at all. I definitely need some help here lol it’s driving me nuts