Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

SUB SUB SUB SUB WOOFERS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Default SUB SUB SUB SUB WOOFERS!!!

I just wanted everyone's opinions on Sony's Xplode subwoofers? are they any good? I heard from a few people that they sucked. I have a pioneer HU and I was wondering if i needed a amplifier to hook up a subwoofer. I have stock speakers just FYI. And are Lightning audio subwoofers any good? They are cheap, so i'm thinking they suck.

The sony xplod model is xs-L120p5w or the xs-L110p5w. I think the only diff between them is watt and diameter of subwoofer.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2006, 11:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: SUB SUB SUB SUB WOOFERS!!!

sony speakers for cars just suck.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

well um, ,this will get moved but..for now.. to put it blunt. sony sucks. for home and car audio. they make GODLY tv's and amazing heaadphones..but other then that dont waist your money. what kind of pioneer do you have? most of thier stuff is cheep too. and um..lighting audio is sold at walmart. so there is your answer. its bottom line, below sony.

seems like you wanna spend little money as you can. you have a few options.

subs....PG(phoenix gold). verquality. Directed audio. ver CHeep. awsome quality for the money. KICKER. cost a bit more but you can rip the hell out of them. buy a few L5 8's with a quality build and amp. and ull be happy.

amps....PG,Directed audio, Alpine, JL(a bit of money)....

a good idea would be to try and go lower on the subs. amps are gonna cost you some money no matter what so keep that in mind. but its all about the build and set up..not so much amounts.

(i.e. i run a Alpine deck, with a v-alpine amp. and a single L5 10". People still expect to see a truck full of subs. and a rack of amps.)

Old 03-06-2006, 12:18 AM

lol, I might have to wait for subs I guess. Need to save up. Can you actually tell the quality of subwoofers? i mean, how much of a difference is a sony subwoofer compared to like an alpine?

and do you HAVE to get an amplifier to run a subwoofer?

Old 03-06-2006, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

you can tell the quality of a sub if youv been doin it for a long time. the differences are in some cases ,material, cone quality, the quality of the set up, the qulity of the sub creation itself just to name a few. Even different enclosure set ups matter..some sound better only certain ways. theres alot to do with it.

and do you HAVE to get an amplifier to run a subwoofer?
that might be THE most hated question an audiophile can hear.

um. im just gonna go ahead and say no and save you a headache