General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

15000 mile oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 15000 mile oil?

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ORIGINAL: Jesse69

My used HX came dino oil and it's got 3700 miles and still looks good / I'll run it to 5000 miles, then I'll do a Synthetic Oil change. Will use Synthetic for 8000 to 12,000 miles. Next change willbe 2 qts Syntec, 1 qt Royal Purple, and 16 oz Hyperlube.

Synthetic changes at 3500 is just wasting oil!

might i ask WHY the mix of oils?
ive never heard of a oil mixture like that!
i just used all royal purple in my last oil change... i can understand the oil additive........
I got 5qt Castrol Syntec with a Pure One filter for $25 sale. Then RP is too expensive at $7.29 a quart. I'd rather do Amsoil straight at that price. The half bottle of Hyperlube is an experiment, supposed to be real good when I engine start or bump start.

Super Walmarts stock 5 qts of Syntec or Q Power for $20, so that's cheap. Maybe Supertech Synthetic at $13.52 / 5 qts might be good too. There was a thread at Cleanmpg.com saying Supertech Oil filters are real good [cost $2.50], and that FRAM is junk! Pure One, Mobil 1, and Amsoil filters are good too.

I just want the best Synthetic that'll give me the best engine wear protection and fuel economy. Maybe this current mix of oils will be my style of oil changes! It's not too expensive.

If I got Amsoil and did 16,000 mile oil changes that wouldn't look good for resale! The next buyer might freak out at the long interval between changes, even though Amsoil can do 25,000 miles. I just want my oil to be clean too. So 8000 to 12,000 on Synthetic might be good to me, but I've never tried this yet! So I don't want to spend too much on Synthetic, I wanna pay Walmart $4 / qt prices!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Live_4it: The simple point that I am trying to make, and one whichI don't understand why youhave trouble grasping is this: Pure synthetic oils are longer-lasting oils than synthetic blends. Synthetic blends are longer lasting oils than conventional oils. Perhaps our misunderstanding has to do with how we define "high mileage." You seem to feel that a 7500 mile oil is high mileage. On the other hand, I define a high mileage oil as one that provides protection for 15,000 miles (Mobile 1) or 25,000 miles (Amsoil). My concern is this: Hundreds of people read this and other forums each day, and depending upon how much experience/training/education they have had, tend to believe what they read. That being the case, I believe it is important that information offered here be as accurate as possible. Bad information is worse than no information. But I'll give you this. Your view of condom usage is right on!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

Just because it says that it can go for that long doesn't mean it actually does. Just like the shell company and saying that it stops carbon build up on valves. It really doesn't nox is going to build up no matter what. They have enough money to the point where they can tell you what ever they want. They are in it to make money nothing else. And i do not appreciate you emailing me. I go to any place and they say 3000 miles. Doesn't matter what kind of oil your putting in it. So what if you go over a few miles but 15000 miles on the same oil. You get oil breakdown and lak of lubrication. Just because its synthetic doesn't mean the rules change. But you go on thinking what you are thinking. No one is stopping to but you have no right to be emailing me bashing what i have to say. Until you find a cooperation that has hard facts to back up there product and they dissasemble a motor on tv to show it doesn't break down. I will stand fast a 3000-5000 miles.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
HCF Member

group IV base stock synthetics don't ever break down - you only need to change the filter because of contaminants - if you use a good gas - (i.e. top tier) that would help with the contaminants. but this is the main reason for changing the filter - you should at least change once a year depending on mileage - 15,000 to 25,000 if you are in that range after a year you might as well change the oil and filter if you go to the trouble of changing the filter.

a true group IV base stock synthetic oil is the best way to go - and changing it within that mileage or once a year. Everything Delaware_don has said is true. 3,000 on a conventional oil is a waste of money IMO.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 95civic1.6l

It will still run but what do you think your engine is going to look like when you pull the oil pan off and rip apart that motor? I am going to school for automotive technology and your oil gets dirty when its in the motor your oil filter gets cloaged full of gunk debree and other things like that. the oil relief valve inside of it is going to open up and shoot dirty oil through your motor. And for your its good enough for me bull**** that you are chanting. Why is it then that people that mechanics that i know who have been in the business a long time say it should be changed at 3000 miles? And why is it i can take apart motors at school and you can see all the muck and gunk that can come from it? You are running your oil to the point where its barely lubricating. What color is your oil when it comes out? Super black? If what you say is true then when you do your oil change it should come out clear just like it went in.
Instead of quoting anecdotal evidence which everyone seems to depend on for the "truth" about oil change frequencies, just look at actual tests and reports that are available out there.

Just because someone says it's cheap insurance doesn't mean it's true. It may have been somewhat true in the '60s but cars these days do not need a 3000 mile oil change. Yes, as someone else said, if you look in the manual, 7500 mile is recommended for normal driving. Unless you live in the Mohave desert or in the Midwest in their brutal winters, you're most likely going to fall in the "normal" driving range.

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Th...%20Mile%20Myth
http://www.moneybluebook.com/the-300...ve-your-money/

"Even in the severe driving conditions that a New York City taxi endures, we noted no benefit from changing the oil every 3,000 miles rather than every 6,000. If your driving falls into the “normal†service category, changing the oil every 7,500 miles (or at the automaker’s suggested intervals) should certainly provide adequate protection. (We recommend changing the oil filter with each oil change.)"

I'm sure this differs by a little depending on the age of the car but I think it's safe to say that the 3000 mile myth is really a myth "nowadays." That's not to say you can leave in your oil for 10K miles on your '95 Honda Civic. But 3000 mile is definitely overkill and unnecessary.

People will believe things so easily even in this age of free information and the internet. It's hard to break habits or away from things you once thought was the truth.

Just because your mechanic says you should change your oil every 3K miles doesn't make it so. They need to make money... so there is a conflict of interest there.

How many engines do mechanics really take apart at a consistent rate to really be able to compare engines... A poorly taken care of car could easily be worn out due to many other reasons. You just never know.

You will do as you will... but the truth has already been told. You can choose to live under fear of what the oil industry has worked so hard to build - the myth. That's your choice.

I've been changing mine around 5-6K miles. I just don't like the look of the dark oil (color doesn't necessarily indicate that the oil is done, it can have much more room to hold contaminants). Plus my commute is only 6 miles to work each way.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

Really interesting info, thanks so far guys
I haven't seen any direct response to 15,000 being good, but it seems as though extending it to 9000 or so would be safe with this oil

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

no matter what kind of oil you are using it still gets contaminated. Let me put it up there. Just because it says on the bottle it can go that long doesn't make it true. 15000 miles is way to much to wait for an oil change. Extended life oil filters. what the hell does that mean? its still going to get clogged up. Change it whenever you want. Lets put it that way. Your car your risk. Not mine. I will tell people to try for 3000 but 5000 isn't that bad.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM

my new honda has a % of oil life left as one ofthe choices on the odometer. they told me and it appears that it will go about 7000 miles on dino oil

also i had a 1996 s10 4cyclinder that i changed the oil every 7500 miles and got 275,000 miles out of the original motor with NO difficulties. [i did change to synthetic at about 200,000 miles.

also i have a freind that builds motors for LEGENDS cars and he got me using Royal Purple oil i asked how often should i change it, he said he changes his in his full size chevy truck about every 30,000 miles, i should add this was the RP racing oil. he had it tested a couple times and the oil was holding up, NOT breaking down.
i do not recommend going that long and did go 20,000 miles a couple times, then went back to 8000 to 10000 miles between oil changes.

also i had a BMW Z3 it had a on the dash reminder for when to change the oil. it would give you i think 15000 miles between oil changes but it held 7 quarts

3000 miles is a money making propaganda even dino lasts longer than that.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:39 AM

The trouble at the tech schools is the teachers still have old school mentality, I use amisol and go by the oil minder which says to change at around 7 to 10 K

Old 03-23-2008, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

I just did my dino oil change yesterday and 5000 miles on dino oil - boy it sure looked dirty in the pan! So for dino, I'd rather do it for 5000 miles Max, 3000 is just wasting it!

I'll run my new synthetic for 8000 maybe.