General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Stinky Administrator
Default RE: CAR WONT START!! Need Help PLEASE...

ORIGINAL: Misha

One small clarification seems to be in order
Igniter and coil are two separate devices
true misha mine was the coil

Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 PM

SO SORRY FOR THE DELAY GUYS!!!!

Ive been working 50+ hour weeks and its been a nightmare and with this little added stress, im not having fun at all!!!

Checked for spark i got a light blue/whiteish spark. It looks good small little spark nothing enormous of a spark. First time I had ever done a spark test. Ok guys so whats the next test??? Thanks for all the awesome advise im performing steps ive never done on a car which is great; im learning.

My friend says the next step is compression. Will this step also advise me if the timing belt has slipped off because of the DumbF* mechanic?

Old 01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
HCF Member

First of you do the easiest check to see if your timing belt is alive at all - either remove its upper cover and make sure it is there and you can feel it is tight, or remove distributor cover and crank the engine and see if rotor is turning. If you pass those, then go for compression test.

Hope someone will correct me if I go way wrong - last time I did it was definitely more than 10 years back

You need:
1. Compression tester - can be bought or may be even rented at any auto parts store and sears, maybe Home Depot, too
2. Spark plug wrench
3. Buddy

Preparation:
1. Remove spark plugs.
2. Remove fuel pump fuse. (you don't need lots of fuel in cylinders when doing the test).
3. Disconnect electrical connector attached to distributor (you may blow your coil if you don't do this).
4. Put a brick on your gas pedal, so it is fully depressed.

Test: While your buddy is cranking the engine, you insert the tester into plug holes one by one and read the numbers. It may take a while until you get it right.

Results: You are OK if your numbers do not differ more than say 10% between cylinders.
If you get numbers that differ like two times, or you get some zeros - you are in trouble and your best bet probably is to start looking for a new car [:-][/align][/align]This test will not show you if your timing is off a couple of teeth, but you can checkthis visually. There are timing marks on your crank pulley and on your timing gear that should be matched with corresponding marks on the block and the head, but I'm notthat familiar with your particular engine, so wait for smbdy else to help you with exact timing marks placement.[/align]

Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 PM

Excellent advice Misha. Let me ask you another question, i know we are not all lawyers here, but isnt the shop liable for this damage? The work was only doneabout 4months ago and for it to slip like that is seedy work! The shop is insured i assume but "Arent they liable?" or will i have to take matters in my own hands and you will probably see it burning down on the 5'oclock news.... [:-] ...

Also car is Automatic Trans. dont know if that really makes a difference.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

Frankly - no idea about shop liability. If you find the belt really slipped - this is yet to be proven - I think you can try toget at least some of your money reimbursed. And I'm pretty much sure no lawyer will take the case - not enough money for them.

As for auto - I don't think it makes any difference in your case.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Does anyone know what the enginecompression readings should be for a 1.6L 2000 HondaCivic EX? Thanks.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:41 PM

Im sure im in a mess of trouble. But here goes, "Car wont start" ins the topic under"General Civic Talk". Now im at the point where i ran a compression test and readings were 130-150 PSI turning on car for like 2-3 seconds. What me and my buddy noticed was some oil on the tips of the spark plugs where spark comes from. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN... we looked at each other and knew i was in a mess of trouble. Thanks ahead of time

Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM

I took it to Honda finally they diagnosed it and said the ignition coil was bad $180 to swap out? I replied, "Even though i had spark"? they said they got it running with a test coil and it turns on,but NOW the check engine light has come on!!! WTF!!! Dude anyone know how to take the light off>????? That **** is going to the Toyota dealer as a trade in but i dont want that little CEL on. Thanks.