General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Got 1st Civic, need some info and guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Default Got 1st Civic, need some info and guidance

I just got my mom's (I know that sounds terrible, but I promise you I don't live in her basement, she bought a brand new car) 1998 Civic LX. I know exactly squat about my Civic. Can anyone tell me (and I've wikipedia'd my car, didn't get what I was looking for entirely) what exactly my car has as far as potential to be something fun? I'm pretty sure it's got a dumbed-down engine in it, but like I said, I didn't find the definite info I was searching for. Also, can someone tell me what the car's potential is as far as an engine swap, or upgradeability? The car is in PERFECT mechanical condition, (my step-dad owns the best mechanic shop in our county, so it has never went without) but I have some things to do on the interior. Not really trying to make a race car, just something fun to drive. I really need somewhere I can go for info on the car.
(Kind of an interesting sidenote, my family had just returned from 3 years in Japan when they bought it. I rode home in it the day it was bought)

Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM

These cars are modded ALL the time. It is easy compared to most. It currently has a D16y7 engine in it. Not the absolute worst in Honda engineering, but no where near the best. Slow as a turd to be quite honest.

First things first. Is it automatic? If so, start saving for a manual swap if you even THINK you want more power. If you want to swap out the motor, you can do both at the same time if you have the time and patience to do two major vehicle upgrades at the same time. If you want a different motor, 9 times out of 10 you have to swap to manual.

Next would be suspension and wheels/tires.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Ok. Well I knew it was pretty slow. Fuel mileage is great though. It's already a standard. Everything works. So the transmission will mate up with just about any other motor?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM

No. The 5 speed already being in the car just make life easier overall, trust me. I have a swapped Civic which was manual from the start and never really had any problems. I picked up an Integra that already had a swap done including an AT to MT swap and wiring only is a nightmare. haha

Your D series transmission will only mate up to D series engines, unless adpator kits are bought, but those don't come around until you go with an H or F series motor.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM

LOL, this is more complicated than my old Ford pickup. So what's the easiest swap? My step-dad has a whole shop with lift and every tool you can imagine that I could probably use if I asked him. I've seen those kits you can buy that have everything you need to do a swap but... yeah, still lost.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Not sure if I want to use a 4 door civic for this though. My buddy has a civic hatchback he's selling, like early 90's. A 4 door civic trying to be fast would look kind of goofy, right?