Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

noob in need of some guidance..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Default noob in need of some guidance..

hey everyone... i'm in the process of purchasing a 97 civic dx hatchback with 95k on it... i really wanna do some mod's to this car but i'm very new to the tuner game. im looking for some quick tips, hints, or tricks as well as a little bit of guidance into this all... i want to make my car as powerful as i can without paying outrageous amounts of money. im not so concerned with looks as i am with power and speed.. i obviously want to put on an exhaust, cold air intake, headers etc. but i know very little about these things or what brands are good or what things i should be looking for when i'm ebay ing for all this ****. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

peace
nate

Old 06-14-2004, 02:51 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: noob in need of some guidance..

If you want to be quick, consider an engine swap. If not, the intake & exhaust is the best place to start.

Old 06-14-2004, 03:38 PM
HCF Member

is yor civi a VTEC? if so then your off to a good start. As far as EBAY goes, just remember that you get what you pay for. Dont fall for the $10 "chip" that will give you 25 HP. Research everything before you buy it, then find the best price. Search this Forum for some good ideas on what you should go for.

Old 06-14-2004, 04:21 PM

well im pretty sure an engine swap is outta the question right now...im having a hard enough time paying for the car! [&:] i don't think i have the vtec..im pretty sure it's just the standard 1.6 sohc...i intend on putting a k&n cold air intake...any suggestions on an exhaust? i was also considering a racing clutch... any ideas? i was also curious as to what it would take to get a turbo put on that engine... is it even possible/worth the trouble? any other tips, tricks, and advise would be taken with much thanks...thanks for your help guys.

peace
nate

Old 06-14-2004, 07:27 PM

I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU GET SOME MONEY AND DO A SWAP. BECAUSE BY THE TIME YOU PUT A NEW CLUTCH, INTAKE, AND EXHAUST YOU ARE GOING TO BE DISSAPOINTED WHEN YOU GET SMOKE BY A STOCK SOHC VTEC OR KILL BY A DOHC MOTOR. TRUST ME I DID THE SAME THING AT FIRST AND ALL I DID WAS WASTE MONEY TWICE BECAUSE I WANTED MORE SPEED. ANYWAY GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 PM
NTX
HCF Member

The turbo and install will run the cost of a b series engine......