General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help a Civic newb please

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Default Help a Civic newb please

I have spent 45 minutes googling, and while I have understood bits and pieced, I have not found a website with a nice summary.

I am wondering about the differentiation between trim levels on the Civics. Also, I am in Canada, so it seems some of the trim are named different things here (i.e. for 6th gen Civics in Canada EX=Si, Si=SiR etc.)

I am looking for a 4 door car, 5 spd manual, with good trunk space for vacations etc (family of 4). Gas ecomony is a plus, and I dont mind a smaller engine as long as it is quality. The hybrid is out of my price range ($10-16K CDN)

I have been a long time VW lover/owner, but after exhaustive research, I have come to the depressing conclusion that VW no longer knows how to make quality vehicles. Civic on the other hand seem to be one of the best affordable cars out there. I have seen the light of the genius of Civic. Please help me

So I am trying to understand the various trim packages etc, so that when I am perusing For Sale ads, I can figure out which ones I should bother looking at.
It seems that the later 6th generation, and 7th generation cars will be in my price range.

Sorry to be a newb... I am a longstanding member of other forums, and know these questions can be annoying. But Ive come here for your expert advice. Please take pity on me

(i have read the sticky threads, and googled my butt off)

So the main things I need to know
In all cases, I am talking 6th and 7th gen

* Which models will offer 4 doors, and good trunk space?
* What is the difference between the trim packages (6th gen Sedan has DX, LX, EX; 7th gen Sedan has DX, GX, EX, and LX)
* Even sweeter would be the answer to the above question, but for Canadian models
* Should the first year of new gen be ignored because bugs werent worked out... i.e. should I avoid 2001 and 2006?)
* Are there any significant differences in engines I should watch for? I am not price averse, so given the choice I would favor a higher quality engine with a higher cost (fuel economy notwithstanding)
* Are there any major repair problems to keep an eye for when shopping?
* Any other advice you have.

Thank you infinitely in advance. Once I get this car, I will be sure to conitinue visiting, not just trying to stop and shop on ya.

J

Old 05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help a Civic newb please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

Also, don't be afraid to expand that search to include Accords. It's a little bigger car, gets great mileage, is more comfortable for a family, has a bigger trunk, and still has that spectacular Honda reliability record.

All engines are Honda. Enough said. They are all bulletproof (not literally, but figuratively) with good maintanence. The only real major thing to keep in mind is the timing belt. It should be changed every 90,000 miles and should not be postponed. If it has not been changed or is due to be changed soon, get an estimate from your favorite shop and simply subtract that off of the final price. If the seller dosen't like that, then tell them to get it done right for cheeper if they want and then you will pay the original price.

Good luck, and others will be along shortly to help with trim levels.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks man. The wiki was where I started, but doesnt summarize the trims all that well. I will continue searching, but at the end of the day, I think some of these questions should be easy for you Honda heads to help me with

and btw - immediately after i posted the message, i checked out the accord on consumerreports.org and JDPower, and yes I think it would fir the bill nicely. The V6 would be a nice touch too...

Thanks again for taking pity on the newb.

The wiki on Accord was a little more enlightening with respect to trim levels
It seems for the accord
DX = base, with 2.2L
LX = power options, cruise, steel wheels, 2.3L engine
EX = sunroof, ABS, alloy and leather
EX and LX V6 = 3.0L

(also seems from a quick search of the local buy sell trade that the Accord will come at a quite higher price for the same low kms i am looking for)

i wish i could find a similar summary for the civics, particularily with regard to the different nomenclature used for some CDN models.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

no problem. this site might help as well.

I did this write up a bit ago for a dude looking for a 07 coupe:
SI- manual tranny only. power windows, locks, mirrors. AC standard, manual seat adjust. standard CD player. automatic sunroof. ABS, traction & stability controls standard. (optional upgrades to include performance tires and navigation package). this is a sick car.

EX- manual or automatic tranny. power windows, locks, mirrors. AC standard, manual seat adjust. standard CD player. automatic sunroof. (optional upgrade to EX coupe with navigation package). ABS

LX- comes in manual or automatic. power windows, locks, mirrors. AC standard, manual seat adjust. standard CD player. no sunroof. ABS

DX- comes in manual or automatic. power windows standard. manual door locks and seat adjust. am/fm radio with optional upgrades. no sunroof. AC optional. ABS

Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I've got to say, that this is probably the best newb post I've ever seen. Thank you for following the rules, actually reading the stickies, and running some searches!

looks like "that guy" has got you covered for info. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

Bravo

Old 05-04-2007, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

indeed, bravo. glad I could be of service. for as much as I have learned in my short time here, I'm happy to give back to others what I know and have resources on.

also, forty remmy and other mods/admins: I'm kinda trying to keep an eye out for noob threads that I can answer productively so that you end up spending less time on that and more time on tech/other stuff. Thanks again for all the help I've gotten, read, and will get in the future.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
HCF Member

If you're still trying to decide... I think a 7th gen would be a better civic by all accounts for you. Most people here don't like them much, but that is because their suspension is completely different than the 6th gens and has less performace potential due to the architecture even when upgraded, and the have the red-headed step child of the d series, the d17.

Now in your case, you are not interested in modding, so the longer stroke of the d17 is great for you and makes great gas mileage.

Also, the suspension isn't really an issue if you're leaving that stock and trying to get a good family car.

The interiorfit and finish is nicer (in my opinion after having been a passenger in many of the two gens) with better looking plastics and gauges.

It would be new and with less mileage. In your application, I definately think that the 7th gen civic or the accord would be the best options. And the trim lines are kind of easy to figure out. They progress dx, lx, ex, si (or your canadian versions) and each one adds more ammenities like electric locks windows and the like. Good luck with your search.!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks again all.

mybrokenblinker - thanks for the advice. This is definitely straight family car (was going to buy the wife a nice TDI jetta, but like i said, they dont make em like they used to). Im getting myself a BMW 3 series (still love the german cars at heart) for having fun with.

driving around at lunch, I saw a few CX models, so I will have to look into what that means (I am assuming its a 5th gen trim, or a Canadian naming thing)

Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

yeah for sure, if you have a different fun car, and aren't modding, definately go with a 7th gen...they are the better family car overall. The 6th gens just have more sporting potential and are lighter so perform better after swaps and the like. Good luck man!