General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Newb help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Default Civic Newb help!

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to civicis (cars in general) and I had a few questions.
Well first off civics appealed to me b/c
1. they're good on gas (is this applicable when you get into performance mods?)
2. They seem like they'd be very customizable.
3. Good starter car. (I just got my license awhile ago)

Right now I have a truck and honestly I just want something faster/better on gas. Does it take a lot of money to put into one of these cars to make it perform well? How hard is it to learn the skills/MONEY is required to do these mods (I know the sky is the limit, but what's a practicle amount for a decent car?)

BTW* I'd be more into the performance than the bling. I've had some limited experience with working on cars (I'm trying to learn!!) I can do basic maintenance stuff and I've replaced a few things on my truck i.e. water pump, head gsakets, head, etc.

I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm really interested!!!! Thanks in advance : )

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Default RE: Civic Newb help!

What civic do you have?

When I think about civics and speed they will never be fast unless you spend good money. you can turbo it, super charge it or engine swap. You can do cheaper stuff intake header exhaust test pipe but that wont you make that much faster. Also if you want to go faster and dont want to spend any money lose weight. Its not that hard to strip a 100 pounds off a civic

I forgot about nitrious, $ per horse power that the ceapest way

Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 AM

I don't have a civic yet, but I'd like to get like a 95-00 si or ex/ek I guess. I know I will have to spend some money, but I'm just wondering how much. I'd be willing to spend enough for a swap or turbo. (That's like 3g right for either?)

Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Well the 99-00 si comes with the b16a2, so i would get that, and then turbo it. The engine it comes with is pretty nice and I wouldn't swap it out.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

If you can do a head gasket and water pump, you can do just about any bolt-on with a Civic. They're pretty easy to work on.

What engine a Civic has depends on the trim level and what country it's made for.

I like the USDM EX trim in the '96-'00 models. It has similar mileage to the non-VTEC SOHC LX/DX versions, but it has about 20HP more, as well as more luxuries. The DOHC Si sacrifices a bit of mileage to make more power. My non-VTEC SOHC '00 sedan moves surprisingly well for only being rate at around 107HP.

None of them are muscle cars, but they can be made competitive with time and money. They can be made to handle pretty darn well for relatively little $$, which makes them good projects for auto-X racers. 35+MPG is better for commuting than most gas cars too.

I even have a 1.25" receiver hitch and a roofrack for my sedan, which makes it more versatile for hauling stuff like motos, bikes, canoes, kayaks, surfboards, etc.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM

What's sohc and dohc? I know what VTEC is. I thought most Honda engines were VTEC. Also, will a turbo damper mpg? (I'm guessing if they do it will be very little, but I don't know a whole lot about them.)
Also, what's the diff between a b series motor and a jdm b series motor? Or does only jdm make it? So many questions heh.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

not all hondas have vtec, sohc means single over head cam and dohc means dual overhead cam, of course i think dohc is the best =)