General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

transmission is getting worse. helppp

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM
HCF Member
Default transmission is getting worse. helppp

what are some symptoms of synchros going bad in a transmission? iv looked all over the internet but haven't really found a good solid answer. i posted a thread a few weeks regarding my transmission and its gotten way worse. especially going from 2nd to 3rd gear. its literally impossible to put it in without grinding unless you over exaggerate and throw it in really hard, when in vtec range. (Yes the clutch is fully disengaged, well the pedal is completely to the floor) driving around town its very like, notchy and not smooth at all. if the synchros are going bad, could this be linked to my reverse problem? its sometimes impossible to take it out of reverse, almost feels like something is locking it in, same with putting it in reverse. or could this be a clutch problem? I'm completely clueless when it comes to transmission stuff.

my civic has the original b16 hydraulic transmission in it. previous owner said the car was all riced out n trashed but he basically restored it and replaced the clutch but i think thats it, regarding the transmission. everything else is original with 125k miles. any input is appreciated!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM

You have no problem going in and out of gear when the car is running, but not moving correct? If yes, that tells me that the system is bled properly, and the master and slave cylinder are working fine.

Grinding (especially during higher rpms) when shifting points to synchros.

The only other possible thing I can think of which would relate to your reverse issue would be a bent shifter fork in the transmission.

I am not the greatest with transmission. I am just going off of problems I have had to deal with in the past.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You have no problem going in and out of gear when the car is running, but not moving correct? If yes, that tells me that the system is bled properly, and the master and slave cylinder are working fine.

Grinding (especially during higher rpms) when shifting points to synchros.

The only other possible thing I can think of which would relate to your reverse issue would be a bent shifter fork in the transmission.

I am not the greatest with transmission. I am just going off of problems I have had to deal with in the past.
It's all good man, I just want to know what's wrong with my car. Haha But in regards to your first point, it still acts weird even when it the car is completely off. very notchy and extremely hard to get in/out of reverse.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Can you get the car in gear when sitting at a stop sign at idle? I used to have problems with going into gear. CMC and slave were fine, fluid was bled. Turned out to be the pressure plate being damaged and it was not disengaging the clutch.

I was able to get it in gear with the car off, and turn the car on in gear, but it would jump forward since the clutch was not disengaging.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

Possible your syncros are bad and bend shift fork, here pix of a bad syncro comparison

Name:  DSCF0092.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  43.7 KB

Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There is no syncro on reverse. If trying to go into reverse grinds with the engine running but car sitting still, the clutch is not fully disengaging. This will also cause problems getting into first and going through the forward gears.

The most common reason for clutch not fully disengaging is hydraulic, either air in the lines or a worn master cylinder. See if it works better if you pump the clutch rapidly 2 or 3 times then try to go into reverse with the car sitting still.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for all the input everyone I will check it all out tomorrow when I get home from school. But the thing I'm confused about is the fact that all the problems I have while driving, are still present when it's completely off at a stand still. If cant play with it until it goes in, the only way I can kind of get it in reverse is if i put it in first, engage the clutch a bit, then put it in reverse. A little trick iv been doing, when going out of reverse I have to actually let the car roll a little bit and push it out at the same time?! Don't know why, but it's been working here and there. As for thegrinding when im driving, I'm pretty sure the synchros after are going bad since they're old and have taken a beating (not from me lol) i read online that 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear synchros tend to be the weakest?

Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by droopy128
Possible your syncros are bad and bend shift fork, here pix of a bad syncro comparison

Im Still kind of sketchy on the details of how a transmission works but those from what I know, those sound like the problems

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

Sorry about the sucky grammar too, my iPod sucks and it wont let me edit my posts lol