Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Tensioner pulley striped!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Unhappy 03 Tensioner pulley striped!

I was working on replacing my timing belt and water pump, and it was reccommended to replace the tensioner pulley at the same time. I got the old one off, and was putting the new one on. The directions that came with the new part (in the kit that contained the tensioner, water pump, and timing belt) said to torque the tensioner pulley belt to 33 ft lbs. I was doing just that, when at about 28 ft lbs. the bolt loosened up. I turned and turned, but there was no more tension. So I removed the bolt and looked at it. It had pulled the threads from inside out with it. the bolt is fine, but now there aren't enough threads inside the bolt hole to hold the bolt with any amount of force. I had been following another members DIY instructions (very very well done I must say) and their instructions say 7.2 ft lbs. Now I wish I hadn't looked at the instructions that came with the part, and instead just gone with the other forum members instructions, all would be well now.

However, what's done is done. I must deal with this problem now Any ideas? My dad thinks a helicoil? should be possible... but I don't know. I'm very sad and frustrated, considereing all the cuts and bruises and long hours in the frigid cold only be stopped when I was almost done....
What can I do to fix this? How can I get threads back into the hole to be able to attach the tensioner pulley?

Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree with your dad on the helicoil. Put anti-seize on the bolt to make sure it will come out next time.

The bolt does need to be tight, to be sure the tensioner does not move during operation. You can download an official service manual to resolve the conflicting specs.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:33 PM

I would think you need to pull out the motor in order to do the helicoil. I have the same problem right now and there is no way to fit a bigger drill in the stripped hole before you can tap it. The bolt needs to be tightened t0 33 ft-lbs.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM

update...was able to use helicoil with the motor in place and torque the bolt to 33 ft lbs.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

Next time..hopefully there is no next time haha but I would use a time-sert. Much stronger then a helixcoil. That's just my opinion though. And mine was also stripped but I didn't know that until it was at the honda dealership. My buddy who is a mechanic.did my timing belt and everything. 6 months go by then one morning...I start the civic up and it just dies...start up....then just dies. ...I'm confused....so I do my part and nothing. Everything checked out ok. No check engine light on either. So I tow it too the dealer..the mechanic does his thing and says my timing belt slipped 2 teeth. The tensioner was loose..the bolt holding it was stripped. So they fix everything and cars good now. I was lucky it only skipped 2 teeth...anymore I may have had valve damage.anyways just wanted to share my story. Glad you got it fixed buddy.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 PM

bought the car with chewed timing belt and covers issue. only found out it was a strip thread issue later. The helicoil bailed me out. cost me 20 (ebay) for the kit and a lot of patience.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM
Default civic 2001 tensioner bolt lost the thread

Originally Posted by seraniko
update...was able to use helicoil with the motor in place and torque the bolt to 33 ft lbs.
How you were able to drill a bigger hole in the cramped up space?

Old 05-11-2020, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by seraniko

how did you helicoil with the motor inside still?? I have the same problem and wondering how thanks!