Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'93 Honda Civic Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Default '93 Honda Civic Misfire

Good Morning everyone,

Ive been having some misfiring problems with my Civic for a couple weeks. Intermittantly it happens so i wasnt terribly concerned at first. As it gets colder (I live in Alberta, Canada) i find that im having this problem more often. I have a stock '93 Civic LX with a 1.5L engine and manual tranny. When the engine is warm i get an intermittant lack of power/misfire when i start off the line from a light or when accelerating sometime hard sometimes its just with regular driving. i am a second year apprentice technician and havent really spent alot of time working with electrical or on my own vehicle. Most of my experience is working on Toyota's. If any one has a bit of info to pass on i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

I assume you have checked the plugs and wires already.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Before posting my initial question, no. I did a full tune-up 8 months ago. After work yesterday i went to check my plugs and wires just in case and found oil on all three of my spark plug wires. At the time of my last tune-up i found the same thing. At the same time i replaced the valve cover gasket to solve this issue. Now, 8 months later i am finding the same problem. i know that the job was done correctly as i was present when it happened (due to injury i am unable to pull wrenches and instructed my fiance in how to do it for me). is there something that i need to know so that i do not have to be replacing this gasket more than once a year? im assuming that this is a common problem.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM

sorry on all four plug wires

Old 11-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You need to replace the 4 spark plug tube seals on the underside of the valve cover.

Have you done a full ignition system tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition timing) and replaced the fuel filter?

Any CEL codes?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

Careful when replacing those tube seals, they are really fragile, its super easy to rip them and expose the circular spring inside.