Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

95 civic won't start. help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter will work with no ECU. It has only the key switch, clutch switch, and clutch switch relay to go through. This circuit is independent of the ECU related parts.

Start by making sure you have battery voltage on both big white wires at the key switch. Those come from the big main fuses under the hood. The black wire with white stripe should be energized when you turn the key to the starting position.

The engine started, or did it just crank? If the car won't start even by jumping the starter or roll-starting it, something else is wrong.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM

I understand now and that makes sense, and very handy to know! Thank you. So I was just too hasty when jumping a wire to the starter. So to answer correctly; yes it actually completely starts the car. The car will not start when attempting to push start. So what to check next?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the clutch switch. It's common for the rubber pad which presses the switch to fall apart and then the switch does not get pressed. This pad fits in a hole on the clutch pedal arm way at the top.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:29 PM

Thanks for helping me rule out the ecu thing. I have already jumped the clutch safety switch with no positive results. If it ever stops raining I will check the wires on the ignition again. I had to hold off on buying a starter relay. (too much$). Can u explain how to test that? I wasn't sure if I interpreted it correctly when I read the service manual. Not positive if I check the plug or the actual relay. It mentions there should be continuity between the a-b terminals when the battery is connected to the c and d terminals. Not sure what that means exactly. Do I directly connect the battery to the plug or relay somehow or does this simply mean turn the key on. Not sure if I did it right, but when I tried I got no reading at all. (testing continuity with ohm setting). Is there another relay on the car that I could swap with the starter relay to test it? Or a way to bypass it safely?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can jump the relay, jump the two black-white wires together.

First check that one of those wires indeed gets power when you turn the key to start. The other one goes to the starter.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM

It was the relay. Thanks for the help!