Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

97 civic outside door handle not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Default 97 civic outside door handle not working

I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with just the outside door handle not opening the door..the inside door handle works fine and the door unlocks and locks okay...I was thinking about removing the door panel and looking around..is there a trick to getting the door panel of easily and if I did break a plastic clip are they esily replaced and inexpensive. Thanks for the relpys.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 97 civic outside door handle not working

they come off pretty easy, just remember, be Gentle. Pretend it is a woman.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

i had the same problem with my old car, when i took the door panel off i noticed that one of the plastic clips that the rod to the door handle atteches to was broken..that could be it, if thats the case you could probably go to the scrap yard and get another one...im not sure how it is on a civic, but it could be really hard to get the clip out and in because theres hardly any holes in the metal to stick you hand in

Old 01-31-2006, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

As mentioned already 9 out of ten chances that the rod either just came out of the clip or the clip is broke. Take all the philips screws out of the panel that you can see, take the cover off around your side mirror control, sometimes there are screws under there too, gently put a flat blade screw driver under the cover and pop it off work your way aroun it. There is a horseshoe clip that holds the window winder on if manual windows, rotate the winder to see this clip, if you don't have the proper tool just use a small blade screw driver to push it off, be careful they will fly off so watch where it lands. Start at the bottom of the door panel and gently pull it from the door, the clips usually stay on the door panel. Once you pull all the clips out of the door push up on the panel to remove it from the door. Gentley remove only enough of the plastic behind the panel to see the rod we are talking about. Get a flashlight you will see it. There will be a rod coming from your door latch mechanism, the end should be inserted in to the plastic clip on your door handle, just put the end in the hole and swing the clip around until it is locked on the rod. If the clip is missing look in the bottom of the door. If it's broken save yourself the misery, go to the dealer and get one.