Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

EGR and misfire codes 1997 civic hx

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Question EGR and misfire codes 1997 civic hx

hey i've got a 1997 civic hx coupe, stick shift. D16Y5 block (the oddball vtec-e).

it's been throwing EGR flow insufficient and cylinder 4, then later cylinder 3 misfire codes for quite some time. the thing runs great, so i dont know why it's throwing misfire codes. it's time for emissions and im hoping i can get it to pass before the end of july.

i took the EGR valve off the other day and cleaned it out, but the car will run fine with the valve removed (which it shouldnt), and doesnt seem to have much vacuum at the EGR vacuum port, which leads me to believe that the passages are dirty/clogged. there's a TSB in mitchell on demand about cleaning out the ports on this model, but doesnt say exactly how to go about it.

i also want to know, would insufficient flow would cause a misfire? i took the plugs out and they were white and chalky, indicating a lean condition. honda has extended their emissions warranty to 150k or 14 yrs, both of which i am under. i took the car in for the warranty about 2 yrs ago and they replaced the cap, coil, rotor, wires, plugs, all 4 injectors, and the fuel pressure regulator. i also replaced the O2 sensor about a year ago.

i took it in again today, and got the paperwork from the dealer, they said my PCV hose was leaking but said nothing about the EGR even though i told them that was the main culprit. if they dont fix the plugged passages, im gonna have to bust some heads

thanks to everyone in advance for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Clogged EGR port and passages are likely the underlying cause for all of your problems.

Read this thread, particularly starting at post #40.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM

awesome man, that's probly what mine look like :P I will let honda (hopefully) take care of that for me, as it's their job afterall...