Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS Light Reset Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Default SRS Light Reset Question

I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. If there is a fault in the SRS system of a 2006 Civic DX that causes the SRS light to come on and stay on, and the SRS code is reset without fixing the cause of the problem, how much driving time will it take before the SRS light comes on again? Thanks for any info.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the self-test runs immediately every time the key is turned on. There is nothing that needs to wait to warm up or recalibrate like the engine controls do. Make sure the light comes on for the bulb test at first then goes out. Someone could have removed the bulb or otherwise disabled the light entirely.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 AM

Thanks mk378, my issue is that I just bought the Civic and two days later the SRS light has come on and is staying on. I'm suspecting that the code was reset so the car could be sold without the light being on. So I'm wondering if this was the case, how long or how much driving time would it take before the code would activate causing the light to come back on?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
I think the self-test runs immediately every time the key is turned on. There is nothing that needs to wait to warm up or recalibrate like the engine controls do. Make sure the light comes on for the bulb test at first then goes out. Someone could have removed the bulb or otherwise disabled the light entirely.
What he said.
If there is a problem the light will come on imediately after start-up even if someone cleared the code.No drive cycles.
I had an SRS light on in my 06.First place I looked was under the seats as that is a good place for the wires to rub through or be pulled out of the connectors.My harness was pulled down under the drivers seat.I checked for bare wires but didn't see any.I reattached the harness to the seat base and haven't had any problems since.I'm pretty sure there was a service bulletin about this condition.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

Seriously - don't try and reset the system to get the bulb to go off, figure out what's going on and fix it right. It's a light that's going to tell you there's something wrong with a safety system - it's not a "suggestion" light.

CVX20 - good call on checking the wiring under the seat. I wouldn't have thought to look there. Was it affecting the seatbelt light, too?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianL
Seriously - don't try and reset the system to get the bulb to go off, figure out what's going on and fix it right. It's a light that's going to tell you there's something wrong with a safety system - it's not a "suggestion" light.

CVX20 - good call on checking the wiring under the seat. I wouldn't have thought to look there. Was it affecting the seatbelt light, too?
No just the SRS light.
As far as resetting the system to get the light to go off,it doesn't matter you'll never get the light to stay off untill you fix the problem(unless of course it's an intermittant problem).

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks for everyone's input but it's all irrelevant now. I got hit while driving the car last Saturday by someone who went through a red light and broad sided me. I don't have an official appraisal yet but i'm pretty sure it will be a write off. Bummer. Back to the civic search one again.