Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS Reset Unsuccessful What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Default SRS Reset Unsuccessful What Next?

'02 Civic EX w/ 47k miles.

Recently my SRS light came on. I believe this may have occurred after my spouse left the lights on and had to get a jump. Regardless, I followed the procedure outlined on the 'net to reset the light. The light stayed off for about 2-3 weeks of normal driving and then came back on. I then checked all the underseat connections and reset it again. Again, it stayed off for at least that long, but finally came back on.

What's next? Do I need to replace the SRS brain? I'd rather do this all myself to save the bucks if possible. Is there any way to get more diagnostic info about where the problem is?

thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 08:49 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: SRS Reset Unsuccessful What Next?

i believe there is a self diagnostic mechanism in place for your year for the srs. check to see if there is factory service manual for your year in the link in my signature.

i would not replace things haphazardly without figuring out what is wrong. it just wastes a lot of time and money to say the least.

judging from the fact that you have a returning srs light, something is wrong but i would think that the brain is rarely at fault.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the tips! I found a couple manuals at that link that appear to be for similar-era Civics from Europe. The body styles are different, but I suspect the SRS tech is the same.

Unfortunately, I cleared the SRS light earlier today before I tried this. Looking at the diagnostic procedure I think I probably erased the fault code. I shorted the SCS connector and switched on the ignition and the light sequence doesn't make sense. The SRS light comes on for 6 seconds, then off for about 2, then on for about 3, then off for good. The manual seems to indicate that that second time it should come on and stay on if all is good. And if not, then it should give me some blink sequences. So it's doing neither. I'm guessing I need to wait for the SRS light to come back on again (couple weeks) before this is meaningful, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

thanks!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mixwhit

Unfortunately, I cleared the SRS light earlier today before I tried this. Looking at the diagnostic procedure I think I probably erased the fault code. I
Absolutely. Once you clear the codes, nothing will come up on the self-diagnostic. You will have to wait until it returns then run the self-diagnostic on it.

normally, these are lit b/c of sensor issues of some kind.