Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Parts matching

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Parts matching

What’s up people? Here’s the deal. I picked up a 91civic DX hatch pretty cheap. As far back as my knowledge go for the car is that the person who had if before the kid I bought it off of had a b16 in it and converted to obd1. Well, he ended up blowing the motor on the dyno at the shop that was doing his work. He eventually got frustrated with it and just wanted to get rid of it. He basically gave it to the guy I bought it off of with a bunch of parts in boxes. The guy he gave it to didn’t have the time or money to deal with what was given to him and decided to sell it since he was buying a house and was trying to get money for a down payment anyway. Sooo, I got the shell, motor mounts, axels, shift linkage, a brand new unused block, and basically the rest of the motor in a box. Supposedly the kid was an idiot and didn’t know much about cars, and the kid I got the car off of cant get in contact with him. This is where my questions stem from. Supposedly, the cams are out of a gsr, there are two boxes P-1 Racing parts with valve springs and valve seals/retainers but I don’t know if they are stock or the new ones he intended to use for the rebuild, Also, there are two cranks. One is brand new and the other has good written on it in sharpie. I don’t know what block these go to. Again, supposedly the piston and rings were swapped for GSR but I don’t know about the rods.
Now that you have a basic Idea of where I’m coming from here is what my intentions are. I have an 89 CRX that I swapped a b16 into about 5 years ago. I purchased and installed an SI cabin harness for the hatch so that I could just take what is in the CRX out and drop it right in. (plug and play everything). I failed to mention that the DX had some modifications made to the harness, which of course is necessary, but done in such a way that I believe is the reason it blew on the dyno to begin with. It was converted from DPI to MPFI, fine. But the shop tried to convert it to obd1 from obd0. They used a jumper harness, but they cut the jumper harness and ran the wires on their own. Again, a frigin mess, which is why I opted to just buy a new SI cabin harness. The car is all wired up and I am ready to swap the rest.
With the CRX I am in the process of building a boosted LS/Vtec and don’t have any questions about that. Well as for now anyway.
I added all this background because I have seen the comments people like to make when others post things that seem to be obvious. So, to make a long story short, is there markings I can look for on the box of parts that I have so that I can Identify what motor the pistons, rods, cranks, etc…came from? I figured since I have the parts might as well build the motor and have a backup. I appreciate your help.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Default RE: Parts matching

not sure i can help too much, but have you tried google images for the stock bits, also spec sheets?