New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

stumped newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Default stumped newbie

Hi everyone, I am also new to this forum. I am stumped by something. I noticed over the last 5 to 10 years that an awful lot of younger folks are making modifications to Civics and other small import cars, much like we did to Cameros and Mustangs back in my day (the 1980's). One phenomenon I have noticed is that many younger folks replace the taillights on their Civics with clear ones. I happen to have a 2004 Civic EX coupe that I bought new last year. Well, I managed to chip the passenger side taillight pretty bad. So I called my Honda dealer, and they want 120 bucks for a new one. I ain't gonna pay that unless I can't find a used one. I figured that since so many of today's generation replace the stock taillights with weird looking ones, that there would be a ton of OEM lenses on eBay. Wrong. Dead wrong. I haven't seen one at all. I find one for a Civic sedan every now and again, but in six months I've yet to see a passenger side taillight assembly for a 2004 Civic coupe on eBay. I figured there would be hundreds of them.

The only theory I have been able to come up with is that I have noticed here, and on some other Honda sites, that most of the cars that you guys tinker with are quite a bit older than an 04, and that would explain why there aren't any on eBay. Or am I just not looking in the right place?

If anyone has a 2004 passenger side taillight for a Civic EX coupe for sell, I'd like to buy one. I have a Fiji Blue Pearl 2004 Civic EX with an automatic. The only modification to it is a small sticker in the back window that allows me to park in my employer's parking lot. Other than that, it is 100% stock. I really love my Civic, fuel efficiency is amazing, maintenance is cheap, and insurance is very competitively priced for an ‘04, full coverage runs me $32 a month. I have zero complaints about this car.

I don't understand a lot of the things you guys are talking about, but I sure do like looking at all the gizmos and contraptions you guys put on your cars though, it is kind of neat how some of them turn out. I'm in my mid 30's and am a college graduate, so I probably wouldn't fit in here, but I sure do appreciate you to allow an old geezer like me to look around. If anyone has a taillight that would match my Civic, you can email me at OPKS1972@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Default RE: stumped newbie

I'm in my mid 30's and am a college graduate, so I probably wouldn't fit in here
That's crap, we don't discriminate, we just love Hondas especially Civics. Doesn't matter if your 16 just startin out or an old timer to the car game, its all the same to us. As for your taillights, try www.hondaparts4you.com or www.cheaphondaparts.com, they have some decent prices and I believe OEM tails too. Just shop around the internet, you should be able to find a place to get a good price.

Oh and Welcome to the forum!!!!

Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM

Thanks Chimera02EX, neither of those sites have OEM taillights, but I'll keep looking. Thanks for your kind words, its kind of strange, back in the 80's in high school, Hondas were for geeks. Anyone who drove one was made fun of relentlessly for driving a non American "rice burner". We had a teacher who had an Acura Legend, and we drove her to tears one day making fun of her car. Now, 17 years later, and I can't stand 95% of "American" cars and I absolutely love my Civic. I should have it paid off by next summer, and then I'm going to get another Civic EX coupe in the new body style, probably wait till September so I can get an '07. I'll keep the '04 for my daily driver. Yes, I was flat out wrong back in high school. It took me a while, but I came around to the Honda way of life!

Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 PM

No problem. Nice to see another member of the Honda family. You could also check the For Sale section of the forum, you just might find something.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:17 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to HCF. [sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kerosene

We had a teacher who had an Acura Legend, and we drove her to tears one day making fun of her car.
THAT's hilarious.

Yeah, you're on the right track I think... you can post a wanted ad in the classified forum here, you might have luck that way. Or check out hondaautomotiveparts.com, they seem to have what you need for $89 which is still high but less than your dealer.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, hope you stick around... there are plenty of people here who drive totally stock cars, and some who don't even drive Civics at all who knows, you may get hooked (not that I would know anything about that, ahem.)

Old 09-05-2005, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

WELCOME--dont worry about the "OLD GEEZER" thing--- i got about 10 years on ya ---i know where your comming from---dont worry about these kids -they get a little nutty sometimes --but the advice is always good