Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

07' Sedan Speakers Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Default 07' Sedan Speakers Upgrade

I bought 2 sets of Polk DB's to upgrade my 07' Civic LX Sedan and am needing help on how to swap out the rear speakers. They look as though the back dash may need to be disassembled. Can you point me the way? Also, how about the disassembling doors? Any tricks for that since I've read the door plastics scratches really easy. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. This my first Civic and it is great![:-]

Old 10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Default RE: 07' Sedan Speakers Upgrade

Rear spkrs are somewhat easy- just lift the deck grills off and unscrew the single bolt. You will need to drill new holes for any new speaker but this is not hard- just get a carbide bit for the drill. I highly suggest putting some Dynamat or similar around the opening before mounting the new speaker (drill the holes first though). You will have to drill up from the trunk rather than down through the top. Use a template from the new speakers for marking holes for drilling.
The front doors are easy to take off- go to the DYI section for more info. Again, drilling new holes is required, and Dynamat highly recommended.
I added sound deadening to all the inside of the doors, double and triple layers even on the front doors. Since you have the panels off, might as well make the new speakers sound their best and it helps reduce round noise some. It is applied to the outer shell of the door- this gives the most contact to metal as the inside frame has many openings. Try eDead rolls, but double it up for best results (look on eBay for 'eDead' or similar- Dynamat is very $$). You'll need about 30-40 sq. feet for all the doors, double applied. I got 120 sf for about $150 and did my floor, doors and trunk lid as well as my wifes doors and part of the floor. It's hard work to do the floors (doors are easy), but does help road noise and performance from the speakers (tighter sound, less resonance).
Good luck

Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Default RE: 07' Sedan Speakers Upgrade

Thanks so much! You're awesome! I did buy PowerMat sound deadening on Ebay this week. I really appreciate the good info and so quick.