Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 Civic coupe, need some BASS. need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Default 2000 Civic coupe, need some BASS. need advice

Hey i just bought my 2000 uncles civic dx coupe for $1000. The speakers are blown and I listen to alot of rap and trap music. I need some new speakers and a bass thats going to BUMP. but i really have no idea whats good. and im trying not to spend more than $500. Unless there is something with alot of bang for the buck and thats half decent. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

-liam

Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

Getting it to BUMP for $500? Start surfing Craigslist. You'll have a hard time getting the big sound you desire for $500 buying new.

For the bumping part, at the minimum you'll need to get something like a 10" or 12" subwoofer, a box to mount it in. Then you'll have to get an amp for it, and either an external crossover or a new head unit that has one built in. You'll also need to find the properly-sized power, ground, and speaker cables to connect it to the head unit and battery.

Then you'll have to upgrade your blown speakers, which won't be too bad. If you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on Crutchfield since they'll run the occasional "buy one, get one free" sale. Or research what you want, and see what Amazon can offer.

My previous setup (which has moved through a few cars) was two 10" subs in a sealed box, then Polk speakers in the doors/deck. I'd set the crossover so the speakers would handle everything above about 90hz (which came through beautifully), then the subs would take care of the lower frequencies. I could tune it to shake body panels, but it all sounded best when it was all tuned together. Even rap music.

Last edited by ChristianL; 01-08-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:25 PM

Rockford Fosgate 150-watt Bass Package Includes a Prime Series 150-watt amp and a sealed enclosure with 12" sub at Crutchfield.com

is this good? its not too expensive. i have no idea where to begin, like why do i need an amplifier

Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Crutchfield.com Specials

looks like theres a deal on alpine speakers. ?

Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 AM
HCF Member

That sub is okay, but I have a feeling that given your music tastes, and probably what your goals are, you'll be disappointed. That sub would be a great accent to an existing audio system, but won't give you that car-shaking bass that you can hear from two blocks away.

A bunch of us know our audio gear, and will be happy to help you. But since it sounds like you're still pretty new to it (as we all were once), I'd recommend starting here and reading through their tutorials. They do a good job of explaining things, and really breaking it down to something that makes sense. Plus, they have awesome customer support, so if you want to just call and pick their brains, they're happy to do it. A buddy of mine actually works for Crutchfield, and says you can't believe how knowledgeable they are around there.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 AM

will any speaker size fit into my car? does it matter?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 AM
HCF Member

Any brand, yes. Any size, no.

You'll have to look up what sizes fit your car. I think your coupe takes 6x9" oval speakers in the back deck, and maybe 6 1/2" round ones in the doors (but am not 100% on that). You can get others to fit, but that requires either modifying the car in some way, or buying adapters that will fit the stock speaker openings and attaching the new speakers to those adapters. You also need to check things like mounting depth (to make sure they'll fit in small spaces like your doors).

If you get the properly sized speakers and installation hardware, they'll just drop right in with a few screws.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Alpine 500-watt Dual 12" Bass Package Package includes MRP-M500 amp, two SWE-1243 12" subs, and Sound Ordnance enclosure at Crutchfield.com

this is what someone reccomended on crutchfield... looks good. do you think i will a capacitor

Old 01-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Coupe
F: 6.5 or 5.25
R: 5.25 think these are the sizes

Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

not sure where you live, but if you are in, or close to, a major city, look for a wholesale/warehouse district. Electronic/DJ shops here in LA sold me 2 pairs (front and rear) of decent 3-ways that sound amazing for ~$120.

I got a pair of old 12" rockford subs in the case for ~$100 (craigslist and lucky) but the same store i get my alpines from sold similar speakers for ~$75 each, and you can make a housing for dirt cheap, just look at specs on box.

My car came with a sony xplod head unit, which already had 2 RCA outs and a Sub out. but my unit was ~$100 new at that time.

I also picked up a 600w 4-way sony amp and a performance tekniqe (sp?) 1000w 2-way for ~$225.

Wires are cheap if you can go to a shop and get what you need, or they sell kits of the wires are places like bestbuy for $100. i think?

I DO NOT recommend just getting an amp and sub, unless you just want bang and do not care about sound quality or the music you are listening to.

That is ~$500. If you are just trying to get a combo kit and have a store install it for you, I would try to find a way to not be on a $500 budget.

(ps. the prices i paid in shops, were cheaper than anything i could find online for the same product, i was using my smart phone to negotiate)

Quick Reply: 2000 Civic coupe, need some BASS. need advice