Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

96 Civic Hatchback Front Speakers problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Default 96 Civic Hatchback Front Speakers problem!

Hey everyone, I'm having a little trouble with my Honda Civic 1996 CX Hatchback.
I've been told and I've done my research and apparantly my front speakers are 6x5. So I purchased a pair of Alpine type s speakers for the front and rear.

The rear speakers went in perfectly and sound great, but the front speakers seem like they need a lot more room to fit in.
Even if they fit in, the screw holes don't match the ones on the speakers.

Does anyone have a solution for me? I'm very new to all this car stuff lol

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

I had a similar problem with the door speakers in my '97. They ended up being about 1/4" larger in diameter than the stock ones, so they required some trimming to fit. Mine were also deeper than stock, so I had to do a lot of trimming to get them to fit inside the OEM plastic basket. In the end, most of that nicely-designed factory shielding was cut away, but the speakers fit flush and you'd never know they weren't stock.

Don't expect the screw holes to line up, though. That's pretty typical of aftermarket speakers. In the past, I've used self-tapping screws, and even small bolt/nuts to cinch them down in some cases.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ChristianL
I had a similar problem with the door speakers in my '97. They ended up being about 1/4" larger in diameter than the stock ones, so they required some trimming to fit. Mine were also deeper than stock, so I had to do a lot of trimming to get them to fit inside the OEM plastic basket. In the end, most of that nicely-designed factory shielding was cut away, but the speakers fit flush and you'd never know they weren't stock.

Don't expect the screw holes to line up, though. That's pretty typical of aftermarket speakers. In the past, I've used self-tapping screws, and even small bolt/nuts to cinch them down in some cases.
all this.

if it is too small then you can make a round wood ring that screws into the door and then the speaker can screw into that.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM

another option you can do is a bracket mount directly onto the door panel. It sounds risky, but it frees up room for the magnet, and still maintains quality sound. That is counting that you have your panel secured...